Hello to all. I'm Vinny, the traveling dentist.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinny

Reaction score
The cost of quality dental care is getting ridiculously high and access to care, especially in small towns, is extremely poor. I am determined to find a solution and I need your help.

My goal is to be able to set up shop as a fully functional dental office/lab in a vacant commercial space for 3-6 months and then leave the space in the same condition. Plumbing is my major obstacle.
My chairs use sterile water in a self-contained system and I have portable sinks/washing stations, so no water lines needed.

The problem is suction. I did some research and found a self-contained suction unit from China
(photos and link below) that's exactly what I'm looking for. I don't trust the reliability and can't afford to wait 2 months for the shipment. Is this something that can be built by an experienced plumber/handyman?
It is extremely important the pump can handle heavy use, cannot be too loud and cannot have hoses to trip over. It also needs an air/water separator, amalgam separator (to catch silver fillings) and a filter trap.

Is this doable? If so, where to start? Approximately how much and how long to build? Is my monkey-brain missing something?
Thank you for reading my post! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

upload_2018-9-29_15-48-33.png

Vinny DDS

There is frankly no way you'd get a plumber to do this project, let alone afford the cost.

My goal is to be able to set up shop as a fully functional dental office/lab in a vacant commercial space for 3-6 months and then leave the space in the same condition. Plumbing is my major obstacle.
My chairs use sterile water in a self-contained system and I have portable sinks/washing stations, so no water lines needed.

Vinny DDS
That's a noble goal you have of bringing affordable care to those with little to no money and I applaud you for it but, Vinny, are you really intending to reuse water that has already been in someone's mouth? Seriously?

Maybe that is a common practice and I intend to ask my dentist what she does with her water next week when I have my 6 months cleaning.

Lucky dog and you probably get a discount from your dentist as well! My spit gets sucked up into a little hook shaped device that leads to who knows where. Maybe it's sent to a biohazard waste container or maybe it's recycled. We haven't been able to spit into a circular porcelain bowl with the water jet at the top for over twenty years.

most municipalities have plumbing codes for dentist .
  • Dentists regularly flush away water contaminated with various bodily fluids, which could contain pathogens such as bacteria, viruses, and fungi.
  • Water plays an enormous role in cleansing when you undergo any type of dental treatment, from rinsing out your mouth to washing off braces, dentures and other appliances used for patients.
  • Often, the water contains microscopic contaminants resulting from food particles, plaque, and tartar that the dentist removes from your mouth during cleaning.
  • According to the municipal code for sewers, which governs many of the activities of commercial plumbers in Toronto, any clinic that generates dental amalgam and connects to the City’s sewers must install an amalgam separator in its piping system. This ensures that the toxic chemicals and metals associated with dental work don’t enter the sewer system and pollute the groundwater. Dental clinics have been proven to generate between 8 and 14% of the mercury in municipal sewer systems. Any dentist who doesn’t comply faces hefty fines, so it’s in their interest to have their plumbing professionally installed.
You could find a house with its own water and septic system .

Back