Hello from West Michigan

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I joined the forum for some information, but I think I'm going to find myself spending a lot of time here. Plumbing has literally been in my life from the start. I grew up the son of a master plumber/small business owner. So I've been on jobs since I can remember. Right out of highschool I went to work for the family business. Well, because of that, I never bothered to get licensed. Now, as an adult with 20 years of experience, I'm still not licensed. Reason I came looking for a forum. I'm hoping I can find someone here that can put me in touch with an inspector maybe that does test prep courses. I want to get my journeyman this spring. I can ask that question though in the appropriate sub forum, just wanted to share why I'm initially here. Anyways, can wait to talk with some fellow plumbers on here.

I think you can contact the plumbing/licensing board in Lansing and they can help. I know way back a guy named Bruce Richards would teach a masters class, i am not sure he had a j man class. I hear they are going to online testing. I took my test in the early 90's still wiping a lead joint and a copper project and then the written.

I think you can contact the plumbing/licensing board in Lansing and they can help. I know way back a guy named Bruce Richards would teach a masters class, i am not sure he had a j man class. I hear they are going to online testing. I took my test in the early 90's still wiping a lead joint and a copper project and then the written.
Thanks, I'm going to call tomorrow. I also heard it's all on a computer. Which seems too easy. I wonder why they are getting rid of all the hands on.

Thanks, I'm going to call tomorrow. I also heard it's all on a computer. Which seems too easy. I wonder why they are getting rid of all the hands on.

You shouldn’t have to perform a hands on test in my opinion. The test should focus on plumbing theory, physics and safety. Installation procedures vary too widely now. Plumbers also have insurance now.

I’m for LESS government control over me and my profession.

Latest posts

Back