Hello and thanks for the invite

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shermanpup

Reaction score
I have a cabin in north central Michigan that is closed down in the winter and I have had success blowing the copper water lines out until this year . I had one hot water pipe break over the winter. It is a vintage log cabin with fir hardwood flooring. Access underneath is pretty much not available so I will have to tear up some flooring to have someone do the repair when the leak location is detected. I want to locate the leak with out ripping up any flooring so I need to know some methods of how to find the broken pipe . I was thinking use a hole saw and a camera that hooks to your phone and an Electricians fish tape to guide the phone camera under the floor joists , my plumber friend said a stethoscope too. Can't use a temp detector because the electric elements will fry without the hot water tank full. Any advise from people here is greatly appreciated .
Thanks Jim

Last edited:
unless you can isolate all other lines except your hwh and the line in question you could shut the power off to the heater and see if you could detect cold water with the temp detector...

Back