Heating system not refilling / no pressure

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok thanks for the help. I havenet had an issue for the past few years , how often should you have to refill it ? once a year ?
Does the fact that we have rads in the attic made a difference ?
I usually turn off the rads in rooms that we dont use , is this a good idea or should they be all on to avoid air locks

It crossed my mind but I didn't want to ask...don't you leave the PRV feeding at a preset pressure, as it is typically done. That way it's an auto fill system. I know some people don't leave it open for various reasons but that's another subject.

So it sounds like that control you have on the bottom allows you to shut it off completely.?? I wonder if that is just meant to be a normal feed or a fast fill and the normal feed is not working any longer. Pressure settings is typically done by adjusting that top screw but I'm not familiar with the various types that may have an easy adjustment with a knob.

I found that my PRV creeps up a bit over time, so I shut off the dedicated valve just before it. In my case I would crack the valve open once or twice a year. Not because it seemed low just to see if it went up much, if at all.

The bottom line is that unless there is a little leakage somewhere, you shouldn't have to bring up the pressure a bit, more often than about once a year.
Assuming also that you have a properly pressurized expansion tank and you're not losing anything out of the relief valve.

But for yours to drop all the way to zero seems strange, unless of course you haven't looked at in in a very long time.

Last edited:
It crossed my mind but I didn't want to ask...don't you leave the PRV feeding at a preset pressure, as it is typically done. That way it's an auto fill system. I know some people don't leave it open for various reasons but that's another subject.

So it sounds like that control you have on the bottom allows you to shut it off completely.?? I wonder if that is just meant to be a normal feed or a fast fill and the normal feed is not working any longer. Pressure settings is typically done by adjusting that top screw but I'm not familiar with the various types that may have an easy adjustment with a knob.

I found that my PRV creeps up a bit over time, so I shut off the dedicated valve just before it. In my case I would crack the valve open once or twice a year. Not because it seemed low just to see if it went up much, if at all.

The bottom line is that unless there is a little leakage somewhere, you shouldn't have to bring up the pressure a bit, more often than about once a year.
Assuming also that you have a properly pressurized expansion tank and you're not losing anything out of the relief valve.

But for yours to drop all the way to zero seems strange, unless of course you haven't looked at in in a very long time.

No pressure again this morning but heating working fine, maybe i have a faulty PRV

No pressure again this morning but heating working fine, maybe i have a faulty PRV
Well somethings not right. You shouldn't lose pressure that fast.
What type of heating system is it? Forced hot water with circulator and expansion tank? Separate zone for attic?

Well somethings not right. You shouldn't lose pressure that fast.
What type of heating system is it? Forced hot water with circulator and expansion tank? Separate zone for attic?

i have to open a valve in the hot press to get the rads in the attic to work and they work then if the heat is either on in the ground floor or upstairs. I dont know anything about circulator and expansion tanks im afraid

Well I have no idea what type of heating system you have.
Maybe it's one of those older gravity systems with cast iron radiators, etc. ???????????

EDIT: I take that back. Gravity systems didn't have a closed system.
What is that red tank I see in all your pictures? Looks like an expansion tank to me.???

Last edited:
The op is from Ireland if Im not mistaken..........

Diffrent style of boilers and such....

The op is from Ireland if Im not mistaken..........

Diffrent style of boilers and such....
Yes I did notice and wondered what type of systems they may have.
Would have been good to see pictures of everything associated with the heating system.

so im back again

At the moment, i have to fill the system every few days and the pressue goes down to zero overnight. It doesnt drop down in front of my eyes but overnight it goes to zero

So i guess im looking at a leak ? I am going to start with checking every rad tonight for weeping , then put in some leak sealer and if that fails then i will get the plumber in

Whats the best way to add the sealer ?

Thanks

Back