Heating system not refilling / no pressure

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickman123456

Reaction score
Hi All

I live in a 2 story house with the attic converted. Earlier today the heating upstairs was not working fully so i bled the rads and it seems good now upstairs

However in the attic conversion, the rads are stone cold. I believe there isnt enough water or pressure in the system to fill the rads in the conversion and when i open the release valve in the hot press then no water comes in so the pressure is staying really low.

Any idea why the water intake release valve isnt letting in water ?

Thanks for any help

You have to start with knowing the pressure in the system, usually by looking at a pressure/temperature ("tridicator") gauge on the boiler. Gauges can get corroded or plugged and not display the correct pressure. If in doubt, replace the gauge. The system pressure should be about 12-15 psi when cold, which may rise to around 18-20+ psi, depending on system temperature, volume and size of expansion tank.
If the system pressure is low, you could manually over ride the boiler feed pressure regulator to bring the pressure up. If pressure doesn't stay in the acceptable range, you need to replace the feed pressure regulator. While you are at it, replace the boiler relief valve (unless you know that it was replaced in the past few years). I would also replace the high-vent (that vents air and sits above the air strainer).
If the pressure drops noticeably in a day (at the same temperature), then you have some notable leaks. The more leaks, the more water is fed into the system and the more air that is introduced. It is then worth fixing those leaks.

so i got up this morning and there is no heat anywhere in the house now, there is zero pressure in the system and i cant refill the system. I open the valve and nothing happens. How can i get the system to refill ?

The feed pressure regulator has a thin blade-like lever on the top. If you lift that lever, you should hear water flowing into the system. There should be a strainer at the inlet union on that valve. It could clogged.

The feed pressure regulator has a thin blade-like lever on the top. If you lift that lever, you should hear water flowing into the system. There should be a strainer at the inlet union on that valve. It could clogged.

Thanks, im not sure what you are talking about so i have attached a picture of the valve. Usually i just turn the black plastic on the bottom and water comes in

Attachments

• IMG_1392.jpg
    IMG_1392.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 19
What is "hot press"?
I have never seen that style, but it is a Watts pressure regulator. The instructions say to pull the black cap off and push the button underneath to fast fill the system. You should hear a click when you press it. Press it again to stop the fast fill and return to normal mode. I do not see a strainer on this one.

What is "hot press"?
I have never seen that style, but it is a Watts pressure regulator. The instructions say to pull the black cap off and push the button underneath to fast fill the system. You should hear a click when you press it. Press it again to stop the fast fill and return to normal mode. I do not see a strainer on this one.

Hot press is where the solar tank etc is, its a term we use here :)

There is no button under the black cap, its a screw. I turn the cap which opens the screw and the water should come in but nothing happens. I have turned the screw with a screwdriver too instead of using the cap but nothing happens

I have filled it before so i know what to do but there is no water coming in

Looking closer, I see that it is not a Watts valve, so I have no idea of its brand. Feed regulators don't typically fail completely closed. I am guessing that either a valve is closed somewhere, or the regulator (or a strainer before it) is clogged with debris, such as rust. Try disconnecting it and see if it is clogged.

Looking closer, I see that it is not a Watts valve, so I have no idea of its brand. Feed regulators don't typically fail completely closed. I am guessing that either a valve is closed somewhere, or the regulator (or a strainer before it) is clogged with debris, such as rust. Try disconnecting it and see if it is clogged.

Can i just disconnect it and not turn off water ? Anything else i need to be aware of before i do it ?

No,you will have to shut off water to it, and preferably on the boiler side as well, if there is a valve

No,you will have to shut off water to it, and preferably on the boiler side as well, if there is a valve

Ok not sure so if i should tackle it or not ? I dont fully understand which valve is which , i can turn off the mains alright ?

There arent any valves on it i think, its just fed by pipes going straight up to the attic .

Can i close the regulator valve, disconnect it at the other side and it shouldnt leak then ? I can then open the valve and hopefully the water will force any air out ?

Nope, that would probably not work. The regulator could still be open some.
may have to shut off water to house and depressurise the piping.

I think you better take pictures of everything before and after that pressure reducing valve. and post them here.

Here are pictures, are these any good to you ?

Attachments

• IMG_1392 (1).jpg
    IMG_1392 (1).jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1392.jpg
    IMG_1392.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1393.jpg
    IMG_1393.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1394.jpg
    IMG_1394.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1395.jpg
    IMG_1395.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1396.jpg
    IMG_1396.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 6
this thread is resolved. It was a silly issue. I was turning the black nob and it wasnt catching the valve, i took off the black nob and turned the valve with a spanner and the water came in

Thanks

Sounds like you may want to keep an eye on that pressure. Once it's all filled and running, there should be no reason for it to be losing pressure, unless there's a problem.
Beyond its normal pressure fluctuations, due to temperature, of course.

Latest posts

Back