heating pipes

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having been an old steam system with black iron piping, that is known to rust internally, it could be more than sludge.

Sorry...just assumed the way you worded it that it sounded like you were not aware of the mentioned that the "old retired heating guy" had already said the same thing.

Last edited:
Where do I stand
First of all I really appreciate all the comments and suggestions. You are all very knowledgeable and sharing and I have learned a lot. Thank You.

1. I do believe my system was originally steam and converted to a hot water boiler in the distant past.
2. Talking with past owners, visitors and past service people, I do believe the system worked quite well with the hot water boiler in the past.
3. I am convinced the system contains a significant amount of sludge which does not come out by mere emptying, flushing and refilling.

It would be ideal to take out each radiator, flush out outside and reinstalled but being large cast iron weighting 100's of lbs each, this is not feasible.
I do however want to get as much sludge out as I can but am torn between trying to find a contractor with the equipment to come to my remote part of Kansas and do a thorough power wash with magnets etc, OR use the suggested 'Weil-McLain Sentinel-X400' and should this be done before or after adding the circulating pumps.

Comments please.

buy some walmart 2.00 kiddie wadding pools
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Summer-W...14=dollar general plastic wading pool&veh=sem
unhook the radiator. lift one end up,put the pool under it, then the other end sitting on 2x4;
[so's ya dont rip the pool]
flush the radiators. use buckets to remove water from pool to the outside. or buy a small pump
have on hand, a wet vac and plenty of disposable towels

for this type of thing I have a special fitting in my tool box
buy .......... drill a hole in side,on the bottom of 5 gallon bucket, attach the fitting and a hose to the outside
makes getting rid of water a lot easier
whc.png whc1.png
you will also need a short piece of pipe 2'' long and a female adaptor

I think The above suggestion is a good idea. If for nothing else it will give you and/or you plumber a chance to see the actual condition of not only the radiator but also the piping, which may look something like this.

Attachments

• plumbing-corrosion.jpg
    plumbing-corrosion.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 3
  • rust.jpg
    rust.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 1
  • corrosion.jpg
    corrosion.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Back