Heating Oil Tank 275 Gal Leaking

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIYDude

Reaction score
Hi All,

I noticed a small leak from the bottom tank (it looks like small amount of oil drip from the drain bolt). And you can see there is a small puddle of oil on the floor from the pics).
I thought that should be an easy fix by the home heating oil company that supplying me the oil. Unexpectedly I was told I need a new tank. And they told me the price range for a new 275 gallon oil tank is between $4600 and $4800 (tank replacement, removing the old tank and installing the new tank included with that price). There is an Ebay seller is selling this 275 Gal tank for $2890 including installation. Is there a way to fix this myself? Is that really a draining bolt that I can replace?

Attachments

• Oil Tank Leak 1.jpg
    Oil Tank Leak 1.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Oil Tank Leak 2.jpg
    Oil Tank Leak 2.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 1
Honestly, a picture alone will not be much help. If it's just a loose bolt, then sure, it can be tightened. If the bung hole weld is cracked, any attempt to mess with it may cause your floor to be covered with oil.
Is there another company you could call for an expert evaluation?

No, once a tank starts leaking, there is no legal way to repair it, and if you tried something to repair the leak and it led to a catastrophic failure you will be moved out of your house and it will cost you thousands and that's after they dig up any part of the house they think the oil leaked to, my brother in-law had a small leak, less than 5 gallons they dug up parts of his driveway and garage and he was out 30k

I went through the same thing. I’ve heard of magnetic patches that can be installed but I doubt that solution can be used here based on what you’ve described, plus it’s only a temporary fix. They do sell containment trays that can catch your slow leak. One company is Oil Yeller. Anyway, here’s what I did. I ran my tank as low as I could towards the end of the heating season. I ordered a Granby double wall tank (same as a Roth). They are expensive, but I could move it into my basement myself. I carefully removed the legs of the old tank and was able to muscle it out of the basement bulkhead. I also purchased the copper coated supply line and a Tigerloop. I set everything in place and worked with a local heating company to pipe in the new tank and dispose of the old.

Thanks for all the inputs! I really appreciate it!
I was able to drain the remaining fuel out of the tank today. There is no valve (I guess it's an old tank?). It's a drain plug and it is very corroded. I am not sure how is the condition of the thread on the tank. I would need to replace the tank if the threads are bad. I will go find a new drain plug for the tank and wrap the plug with some waterproof tape. There is no leak from any other sections of the tank. From the outside, the tank looks in decent shape except for the drain plug. See attached pics of the drain plug.

Is there anything I can buy to get rid of fuel smell. They are all over me. My cat is keeping his distance from me. I can't pat him now.

I took shower and washed my hair. Washed my hands multiple times. The smell is still there.

Attachments

• Drain Plug 1.jpg
    Drain Plug 1.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Drain Plug 2.jpg
    Drain Plug 2.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Is there anything I can buy to get rid of fuel smell. They are all over me. My cat is keeping his distance from me. I can't pat him now.
It can take up to twenty-seven (27) days to replace a layer of skin entirely. Mark your calendar and keep on showering. Also, maybe you could grind up some cat nip and douse yourself with it.

Thanks for all the inputs! I really appreciate it!
I was able to drain the remaining fuel out of the tank today. There is no valve (I guess it's an old tank?). It's a drain plug and it is very corroded. I am not sure how is the condition of the thread on the tank. I would need to replace the tank if the threads are bad. I will go find a new drain plug for the tank and wrap the plug with some waterproof tape. There is no leak from any other sections of the tank. From the outside, the tank looks in decent shape except for the drain plug. See attached pics of the drain plug.

I took shower and washed my hair. Washed my hands multiple times. The smell is still there.
Before you install a new drain plug, you should really chase the threads with a tap, assuming your tank isn't like your drain plug. A cheap set from Amazon will do for this, $20 - $35 dollars. And don't use "waterproof tape", which I assume you mean Teflon tape. Use a pipe thread sealant with Teflon.

Hi All,

I noticed a small leak from the bottom tank (it looks like small amount of oil drip from the drain bolt). And you can see there is a small puddle of oil on the floor from the pics).
I thought that should be an easy fix by the home heating oil company that supplying me the oil. Unexpectedly I was told I need a new tank. And they told me the price range for a new 275 gallon oil tank is between $4600 and $4800 (tank replacement, removing the old tank and installing the new tank included with that price). There is an Ebay seller is selling this 275 Gal tank for $2890 including installation. Is there a way to fix this myself? Is that really a draining bolt that I can replace?
Put a plastic cup under the leak. If it is only few drops a day, just leave it alone till summer. Lowes sells new tanks for $824. They are not that heavy. It seems hardly possible that inside tank shell or weld has developed a leak. I used wrong sealant on my vent/fill pipes and can see some small leaks when delivery overfills my tank. if it is a weld in a shell, I would try patching leak with fiberglass and epoxy, just degrease it really good (brush and acetone area several times) so epoxy can stick to the metal. Is it a small plug on a side, or you have a larger one at the bottom? If it is a thread at a small side drain plug, and it keeps dripping, you can take it out and reseal the thread without emptying the tank, but it can get messy if tank has oil. I bought small hand pump at Harbor Freight to move leftover oil and plastic barrel when I was putting new 275-gallon tank inside. If replacing tank, get the largest pipe wrenches for 2" fill pipes, you will need it.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your input! They are very helpful! I'm happy to see that I don't need to pay $3200 or $4800 for a new tank simply because the drain plug is leaking. There is no other valve or plug on the side of the tank. Just that plug at the bottom. Now the tank has a new plug on and no leak so far. I add back some of the cleaner oil. Now I need to buy a filtered funnel and try to clean the dirty oil before adding them back.

Be very careful , oil contamination can cost huge amounts of money to get rid of it. I have seen people having to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to detoxify their houses. Heating oil is considered toxic. If the environment people become involved

Just be glad that tank isn’t buried! We had several props in the last 2-years with leaking (underground) tanks. Between testing and remediation, one cost over $65k to “fix”.

If the tank is double wall that would be your(catch basin) but that would be a great idea not for double containment just so you catch the beginning of a tank failure
sorry but no a double walled tank is actually one tank inside another.

I know in Caifornia, the above ground gas storage tanks are required to be double walled, with a sensor between the tanks, which will shut down the pump if the inner wall is compromised.

Back