heating element in electric 40gal water heater

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wrench

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
If the heating element has gone, is there a replacement element that can be installed or would it be a new water heater?

For some reason, I'm thinking a new water heater.

The electrical burning smell was happening, and water not as hot as usual so I turned off circuit to water heater and smell went away. (getting creative with showers).

A little later tried turning circuit back on and no smell but no warming of water after several hours.

My general person diagnosis is I need a new water heater. Am I correct?
Water heater 20 years old in mobile home.

If you take the covers off for the elements, and find the insulation it wet, then yes, you need a new tank. Most times when you get the burning smell, it's a leak shorting out the electrical.

At 20 years old, even if it was the element, I would replace the tank.

Thanks Matt. I'll have to check on things, but I was thinking 20 years was about a lifetime for a water heater. You've confirmed and given more information for me to work with.
Thank you

What should I look for in a replacement water heater? I know when I look I'll be going for a smaller one as I don't use a lot of hot water at one time and would rather not have to keep a lot of gallons warm that I won't use quickly.

In my work with trailers and mobile homes there are specifically designed water heaters that are meant to be in mobile homes but those ones were gas I don't know about Electric probably any old one will work

Thanks. That's good information for me to know.

I'm a big fan of the Marathon series from Rheem. If you plan on staying in your place for a long time, it would be a great investment. Lifetime warranty, foam contrruction, cheap to operate. Unfortunately comes with a heavier price tag.

I bought one when I bought my house. Good peace of mind knowing it's unlikely I'll come home to a rotted tank and a flooded basement.

I have not replaced that water heater yet, so I have another question.

If I can find the water input and turn it off, then drain it via a hose to the outside would that empty it and keep it out of the loop until I can get that new water heater?
Or would it mess up my water movement loop?

If it would be okay, would I need to leave the hot water faucets off or open?

I'm a big fan of the Marathon series from Rheem. If you plan on staying in your place for a long time, it would be a great investment. Lifetime warranty, foam contrruction, cheap to operate. Unfortunately comes with a heavier price tag.

I bought one when I bought my house. Good peace of mind knowing it's unlikely I'll come home to a rotted tank and a flooded basement.

Can you give me an update on this unit? I'm thinking of buying one. Any problems?

Latest posts

Back