heating DWV pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foplumbing

Reaction score
i have a vent pipe that is out of plumb by about 3 degrees, which makes it stick out of the wall.
Someone suggested heating this to get it straight vertically. Is this allowed by code?

Attachments

• pipe lean.png
    pipe lean.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 5
Why not do it correctly and straighten it with two 22 degree (street and regular) or 2 45's?

Post some pictures.

Is this in a basement or unfinished space?

Once you adjust the pipe, what happens to the rest of the vent pipe that is above that room?

Pictures needed for sure.

Post some pictures.

Is this in a basement or unfinished space?

Pictures needed for sure.
i'll have to go out there and get some photos later today.
this will be in living space. The pipe is leaning into a new bathroom space. The wall is using 3.5" stud

Cut a notch out of the back side of the bottom plate, and the subfloor, so you can flex the pipe back, then attach a fitting to straighten the vent.

You will need to fix the penetration of the straightened vent out of the top plate also, and then re-do it in the room or attic above there.

To support the, "do it a different way," crowd: PVC, and ABS fumes are some of the worst stuff you can breath in. And ABS melts fairly easily. So you could end up doing a lot of damage that would require a big fix anyways.

Might as well do the job right.

Is this a new construction? Many will install this for pressure testing only as a way to check for leaks.

I would heat it up and make a slow bend in the pipe.

PVC looses its impact resistance after it’s been heated.

Ive done it on pvc pressure pipe as well many times. Plenty of it still in service working fine for years. Guarantee you it’s stronger than a pvc MIP adapter......

Back