heat traps

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Granpa49

Reaction score
I installed a 50 gallon Whirlpool E1F50RD045V electric water heater a few years back. It has heat traps (aka flow restrictors) and with my low pressure water system (35-55 psig) the pressure drop is too much. To fill a bath tub you have to fully open the hot water valve and open the cold water valve at only about 1/3. There is decidedly more water pressure in the cold water line than in the hot water. If you fully open both valves the bath is cold. I understand this is supposed to save energy and I respect that. It does not reduce my water usage but requires me to wait longer to fill a tub and forces me to take low pressure showers unless I want a cold shower which I never have. If I were to remove the heat traps I would have better flow. I know because the older water tank did not have heat traps and this low pressure hot water problem appeared only when I installed this unit. My question is, can I just unscrew the heat traps and replace them with the plastic lined sleeves? I can not tell from the parts diagrams that I've seen if the heat trap is a separate part or if it is integral to the long tube underneath it. I don't want to destroy the tank and have to buy a new one.

I’m not sure if the dip tube is made into the cold nipple or not.

I’d change the nipples to stainless.......

I just looked the parts illustration and it shows the dip tube is integral to the nipple.

Proceed wiff cautions.......

Since his issue is with reduced hot output, can’t he just change the hot nipple?

I guess the remaining heat trap on the cold inlet nipple might still be a restriction, but try that for starters.

And maybe he can try to drill out or destroy or pull out the cold heat trap guts from the top of the nipple, without destroying the seal of the dip tube.

The parts diagram shows the heat trap (8) and dip tube (9) and then a combination (10). I didn't know if they were indicating that they sold them either as separate parts or as a subassembly or if the part #10 was an integral unit. If only the hot side heat trap is removed the pressure drop would be cut in half.

Some heat traps are hard plastic tubes with a little captive ball.

But I think others might be flexible rubber, and maybe could be pulled out from above, or just destroyed by drilling or with a big screwdriver, pros on here might have tips on that.

I lost a dip tube in my water heater, and there she lays to this day. I just put another one in and moved on with my day.

If i had this problem I'd just take the nipples out and get new. And get a new dip tube.

Back