Have to hold the handle down for a complete flush

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dipam

Reaction score
I have a fill valve type toilet and have a quirky problem that's appeared. When I flush I generally have to hold the handle down until the bowl completely empties, otherwise it will only partially empty. This isn't always the case as occasionally there's no problem. I've replaced the flapper and it now stays up until the water level in the tank comes down to its level before it closes. However, what appears to be happening at those times when the bowl doesn't empty is that water continues to come into the bowl from under the rim even though the flapper has closed, which prevents the bowl from emptying completely. Any ideas on how to address this?

It is normal for water to come out of rim into bowl while the tank is refilling.
This is to refill the bowl to it's proper water level.
Not all toilets are the same.
If you need more answers try posting a picture or 2.

If you have to hold the handle down it is possible that your chain length is set wrong. A chain that is too long won;t lift the flapper high enough to fight the water pressure and it will close when you let go. A flapper on a shorter chain (meaning it is lifted to a higher angle) will be held aloft by the water pressure until the water level in the tank is lower.

As David said, water coming from beneath the rim is normal and should happen every time you flush. This isn't the cause of the toilet not emptying, it is just noticeable because the toilet did not flush properly.

If you notice, there should be a piece of tubing going from the fill valve to the overflow tube inside the tank. When flushed, water keeps running through this tube when the toilet is refilling. This is the source of the water in the bowl. It is normal. I agree that the chain on the flapper needs a shorter adjustment.

Thanks everyone for your input. I shortened the chain some and futzed a bit with the tubing going to the overflow tube and the problem appears solved.

Latest posts

Back