Gurgling sound

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amor1210

Reaction score
So here is my issue. I live in a two story home with 3 toilets. Two upstairs and one ground level. No basement. The two upstairs when flushed and the water empties makes a gurgle sound. The one on the first level doesnt. Here is what ive done so far. I sealed all drains minus the 3 toilets with duct tape. I then plunged all 3 toilets about 15-20 times. I also got some liquid at home depot for drains and put it down both showers in the bathrooms upstairs. kitchen sink, and the washer drain. Water to sinks and showers flow fine and no gurgling heard. Ive read that it can be a clog, air pipe on roof and finally the worst which is a sewer outside line cracked. Anyone have any ideas? could it be the flushing piece inside the toilet where handle flushes? Thanks in advance.

Blockage more than likely in main line between upstairs and downstairs. if both toilets gurgling upstairs there is either a sag in the pipe on horizontal run before it goes down to tie into first floor or something in that same run is clogged. the gurgling says theres an issue but could be a belly or an incomplete blockage. feminine products and paper towls or wipes most likely culprit since first floor isnt gurgling. Will probably have to snake main line by pulling the toilet closest to where the main line goes down. plumber may also choose to go from vent stack but risk busting china toilet if snake somehow catches toilet drain and tries to go into the p trap of the toilet. should seek liscensed plumber asap before this problem becomes worse and floods your upstairs. if it is a belly then there is probably debris collecting in it. if partial clog you have short time before if completely closes must watch carefully what you are flushing. could be vent clog like you said but more likely a partial blockage or belly. by belly i mean a run of pipethatinstead of maintaining a consistent fall to the city main it falls and then goes back up maybe even slightly but still enough to pool up water and catch paper and debris. if looking at a belly it would look like a valley or u shape but more than likely if it isnt too bad would take holding a level to it to catch. could be even the tiniest bit off and overtime cause many problems repeatedly.

So I had plumber com out thru home insurance. Opened rap outside and said no block and snaked toilet nothing. Says it’s air pipe on roof maybe. Said would have to come back and rescheduled with ladder. Also gave me a collar cause I went out before left said I can cut the pipe in my attic and flush bleach down. Just went to get the bleach.

when you say he snaked the toilet what do you mean? did he remove the toilet ( pull toilet ) and snake using a thick wire machine or did he use a hand auger?

if the blockage is where i think it is you wouldnt be able to tell there was a blockage by opening the pipe at the ground level. the blockage is before the downstairs toilets and the cleanout would be dry only thing to try is go on roof and have someone flush the toilet downstairs while listening through vent. if hear the flush no clog if not hear flush or muffled sounding then blocked. does not sound like he did much for you.

I went in attic and cut the pipe and looked clean and they bleach down vent pipe. Let it sit for good 20 minute

Bleach? Fire that guy, insurance companies get the worst plumbers. First rebuild the toilets to make sure it’s not the toilets. Second camera through the toilets to see what’s going on in the drain lines. Bleach? Really? How bout, motor oil? hydrogen peroxide? Soft scrub? Never put any liquids to fix a plumbing problem.

So here it today's update. Plumber came out yesterday and was too scared to go on roof. Said would reschedule and come back. I then ran out to his truck and told him we have access from the attic. What if we cut the pipe and go from there. So he said your handy here is a collar and cut and pour bleach down there. Issue not resolved. Now here is a question. The one louder toilet is next to a shower. The second toilet upstairs is as well. I also have two vent pipes in the attic not just one. I have a larger one which was one i cut but have a smaller one. Could i have a blockage with maybe hair from one of the showers and it connects to same drain and using same vent pipe? Someone asked is all 3 toilets were the same. There alre all different makes and models. I since called them back and asked them to figure out where this issue is their the pros not me.

camera would give you a good look if you run from attic or roof. but most plumbers will charge for using that camera. pulling toilet probably cheaper and at least gives you a shot at solving the problem and using a hand auger will likely never solve a problem where two toilets are gurgling. the principle of what causes that gurgling is what tells me it is a MAIN LINE ISSUE not something to be tackled with a little toy. even if that plumber did have a medium sized to large rooter machine i wouldnt want him running it in my house. sounds like the kind of guy to get bound up and break off in your main line or run back into your china a break a fixture. get another plumber. gurgling is a tell tail sign of a MAIN LINE ISSUE especially when in two toilets. you probalby dont have a clog but if not addressed you will have one and from the sound of it it is in the upstairs so more than likely will cause flooding on second level.

when you request the plumber tell him not to come unless hes got a big and little sewer machine as well as a ladder and a spare set or two of johnny bolts and wax rings for the toilet hes gonna pull when they find out i was right lol

also if you opened the vent pipe take off the collar and do what i said in earlier response and have water running downstairs and have someone flush a toilet downstairs not on second floor while you listen with ear to the vent pipe. pipes work like the kid jungle gym set that has the pipes you can talk into on one side and hear on the other side of playground. if sounds muffled try flushing toilets upstairs while listening as well any difference in sound? note all this. if muffled sounds there is some kind of blockage in your main line or vent this will help to diagnose where it is. and if the plumber has never heard of this method he probably doesnt specialize in drains. its a science

Latest posts

Back