Guidance on swivel fittings for water heater nipples

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarg

Reaction score
Getting together items needed to install a new water heater.
I intend to use 3/4 swivel elbows for the water connections and have questions on the proper technique to tighten them when they have a rubber sealing grommet or washer as pictured.
Is it hand tight and then 1/2 a turn or should they be tighter ? Would a thread sealant be beneficial to lube the threads ?

Attachments

• Swivel barbed.jpg
    Swivel barbed.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 3
That is not the correct fitting to screw onto a water heater nipple.
Crap .... I do need an elbow because of clearance issues with the pressure tank above ....... Which is a "correct" elbow ... a solid street elbow ?
Could you please explain ?

Have you got enough headroom to use a stainless flex connector?

No I do not. The new heater I'm prepping to install is shorter than my current situation ( picture below ) but there still would not be enough clearance.W Heater.JPG

Is the main well line right in front of the water heater??
Yes... The black poly pipe with double clamps ............ I have a 1" brass barbed elbow to replace the pvc one in the picture. That will go to a CSV that will replace the check valve in the current set-up.
The ¾ swivel elbows will be for the nipples on top of the water heater.

Last edited:
I intend to use 3/4 swivel elbows for the water connections and have questions on the proper technique to tighten them when they have a rubber sealing grommet or washer as pictured.
Is it hand tight and then 1/2 a turn or should they be tighter ? Would a thread sealant be beneficial to lube the threads ?
I’m surprised the swivel elbow will not seal, even with pipe compound. If not that, use a regular barbed elbow and let the crimped side be the union If you have to get into either hot or cold water supply later.

I’m surprised the swivel elbow will not seal, even with pipe compound. If not that, use a regular barbed elbow and let the crimped side be the union If you have to get into either hot or cold water supply later.
FYI ... Haven't tried the swivel elbows yet ..... just curious the best way to attain success. And I do have solid 3/4 barbed elbows on hand just in case.
I also got some silicone plumbers grease just to put a light smear on top of the nipples so the rubber grommets have a better chance to seal versus tear.

Back