Goulds J05N vacuum leak?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

openhand

Reaction score
Hi All- I posted a previous thread about not being able to prime this pump. I plan to clean the jet this am to maybeget it working. But I have a question- after attempting to pump water with this unit with vacuum still in the intake, I hear a faint gurgling noise around the housing. I think there’s a small vacuum leak. Is any such leak acceptable for this pump? Thanks!

Pumps are not designed to build pressure with air. If the suction leak is enough the pump wont reach shutoff pressure. The pump could run without water flow for long periods and burn itself up.

Do you have a union on the suction line? They are usually the cause of suction leak as they are meant for positive pressure not negative.

Yes, two unions on the suction line. Jet was clear on the pump but it was dated 1992. I replaced it with new Goulds J5. With repeated priming I can get pressure to 35psi and that’s it. It won’t advance beyond that. And I hear the sizzle of bubbles entering the chamber. How would I check my fittings for vacuum leaks? I installed a brass check valve in the intake line years ago to correct a leaking foot valve, and it’s got unions connecting it. The system has been working fine for years. Maybe the foot valve is almost completely plugged and is only allowing a small amount of water into the uptake pipe? I put pipe dope on the unions and made them very tight and the unions are like new. And when I removed the check valve today there is water that doesn’t drain back into the well. Any ideas? I’m desperate! Thanks!

Try plastic wrap or shaving cream on the spots you think may pull in air. You might see them be pulled into the line when pump is on.

Great suggestion, I’ll try that. I don’t think whatever vacuum is leaking is the issue here. I think it may be that the foot valve is plugged. I mentioned this well is next to a stream and of unknown depth, but I’m pretty sure it’s quite shallow, maybe dug with a backhoe in the 60’s. It’s under the building with little overhead clearance. I’m thinking of hooking a pump up to it and trying to push water down.. any thoughts on this?

Latest posts

Back