Got the garbage disposal in

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish I knew this about air gaps not being required before having the hole put in my new countertops last year. I have no garbage disposal. Air gap leaked underneath when water got splashed on it on the countertop, no matter how tight it was screwed in. I complained to my handyman so many times and he finally used some gray compound to seal it up but we also can't remove the air gap cover for cleaning anymore either. The air gap in the previous countertop also leaked when water splashed and damaged the wood under the countertop so that that air gap was always at an angle. I hate these things.
Darn looks like they are required by code in my state WA state. I guess that ugly, leaky hole in the countertop is still necessary.
https://www.freshwatersystems.com/blogs/blog/what-is-a-dishwasher-air-gap"States including California, Washington, Minnesota, and Hawaii have all adopted a dishwasher air gap installation as a mandatory residential plumbing procedure. In these parts of the country, air gaps are certainly necessary. A plumber installing a new dishwasher will require you to have an air gap connection. If you do forgo an air gap, your house will not be up to code. If you were to ever attempt to sell your house, the inspector would require you to install an air gap."

Install right before you move, then block the buyers number.

Latest posts

Back