Good choice for replacement diverter-yoke for this shower?

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

Ars Glonalin

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm replacing the plumbing for this shower.
One of the valves developed a leak when running
that showed up in the ceiling on the first floor.

i think this plumbing is original to the house which was
built mid-1970's. The valves look and feel worn out,
the plastic handles sre hazed and dated, so it's time for
a new yoke, diverter, spout, and trim.

--looking for recommendations for the yoke (mixer+diverter). --
Does the trim typically match any valve or is it best to get all the same brand?

Is one brand a better choice than another: Kohler, PricePfister, Grohë, Hansgrohë, the list probably goes on and on

I don't want to disturb the tile if I can help it, and there's access on the back of the partition wall - I'll cut the sheetrock to make access. There are no shutoffs and no access panel, so that's job #1.A4E43D4F-B7A8-4E06-B07C-0A00C0BBC2F2.jpeg
6BA9E6F9-4CF0-4725-9B06-BA62F4303C29.jpeg
I'd rather spend what it takes to get good stuff, but not doing anything real fancy - may put a vertical rail for the hand-held showerhead....

Ars Glonalin

Reaction score
Thanks y'all. Looking at various shower sytems now.

If I can find one with a wide enough back it might install over the cutouts for the current valves. But I still have to install shutoff valves as the house wad built without any.

Twowaxhack

Professional
Professional
Reaction score
Your existing valves look like Kohler. You could get all new parts and most likely metal handles.

Jeff Handy

Pro Handyman, NOT A Pro Plumber
Reaction score
Some companies sell a wide oval or wide diamond shaped remodeling trim that will fit their newer single handle valves, but will cover up the old tile holes.

You would still need to cut a bigger hole in the middle, I like to use Rotozip with a tile bit, even though the brittle bits will break pretty often.

There is very little vibration, so the surrounding tiles don’t get loose or cracked.

Riickk

Reaction score
Some companies sell a wide oval or wide diamond shaped remodeling trim that will fit their newer single handle valves, but will cover up the old tile holes.
Delta used to have a retail kit for that conversion. Last time I saw one was....... a long time ago. Still, that would be fast & clean solution.

Here's one - 9 inches wide, if that's enough to cover existing holes? LINK

Otherwise, given that what you have is standard 4-1/4 inch tiles; You could remove a square, rectangle, or pattern of tiles, change the valve, and install new tiles in ? a contrasting color ? ((Trying to match color is virtually impossible.))

Last edited:

Twowaxhack

Professional
Professional
Reaction score
The remodel plate is 9” top to bottom.

That’s 4.5 “ from the center of a valve to the edge of the remodel plate, if you cheat the hole a little you can get a little more.

The spout would have to be moved lower.

If it worked the spout would be near the rim of the tub. Might work though.

Twowaxhack

Professional
Professional
Reaction score
I believe this is the rebuild kit for your valve.
I would need better pics from you to be 100%

This might be an option you’re interested in rather than replacing the valve.

SHEPLMBR

She-Plmbr River Rat
Sponsor
Reaction score
Delta used to have a retail kit for that conversion. Last time I saw one was....... a long time ago. Still, that would be fast & clean solution.

Here's one - 9 inches wide, if that's enough to cover existing holes? LINK

Otherwise, given that what you have is standard 4-1/4 inch tiles; You could remove a square, rectangle, or pattern of tiles, change the valve, and install new tiles in ? a contrasting color ? ((Trying to match color is virtually impossible.))
MOEN makes one as well

Riickk

Reaction score
Whoops... The manufacturer says:
The plate is 8 1/8" tall and 13" wide. The center hole is 5 1/8" in diameter and the screws are 9" apart.