Getting to shower cartridge

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyhart

Reaction score
Hello. I am trying to get to my shower cartridge to clean because I lose water pressure when turning it to hot. The water pressure is fine with other faucets.

I can seem to get the cartridge out and all online videos talk about a pin to remove. I can't seem to get it out. Any suggestions?

Attached is the photo of it. If I unscrew.amd take off the silver pieces it's just the plastic and won't remove.

Attachments

• 15857790350565206372887208530478.jpg
    15857790350565206372887208530478.jpg
    672.2 KB · Views: 27
It looks like that final chrome piece should just pull straight off.

Remove it, then post another pic, try to get better focus if you can.

It looks like that final chrome piece should just pull straight off.

Remove it, then post another pic, try to get better focus if you can.

Thank you for responding. This is what there is.

Attachments

• 15857929074152291492592078955668.jpg
    15857929074152291492592078955668.jpg
    688.3 KB · Views: 34
I believe you still have to remove that final chrome sleeve, to get to the raw cartridge.

It probably just pulls off, but maybe it needs to unscrew, try both ways.

I believe you still have to remove that final chrome sleeve, to get to the raw cartridge.

It probably just pulls off, but maybe it needs to unscrew, try both ways.
I just was able to loosen that crime piece. You may be right. I currently am unable to turn the water off.nknwillnupdate when I can. Thank you for the help. It was on there good

Thank you for your help. I think I need a new one. The current one is dated 2016

Thank you. I was able to replace the cartridge but that did not solve the pressure issue. Cold water is high but when turned to hot is cuts in half. This is in the basement bathroom. Sinks works fine and upstairs shower and sink work fine.

Is there anything else I can do?

There could be some obstruction in the valve. Pull it out again, and see if there's residue, or chunks of gasket in there from the old one. If there's nothing obvious to pull out, you can even get someone on the main valve, and have them turn the water on gently to try and blow any material out of there (should only take a few seconds, and don't turn it to full pressure). Shut it back off, put the new cartridge back in, and see if that solved it.

There could be some obstruction in the valve. Pull it out again, and see if there's residue, or chunks of gasket in there from the old one. If there's nothing obvious to pull out, you can even get someone on the main valve, and have them turn the water on gently to try and blow any material out of there (should only take a few seconds, and don't turn it to full pressure). Shut it back off, put the new cartridge back in, and see if that solved it.

That did not solve the issue. Thank you for the reply.

It looks like you have built in service stops, hot and cold shutoffs.

You could try turning the hot shutoff fully open and closed several times, while the shower is running.
Sometimes that will clear out minerals clogging that shutoff valve.

There are shutoff valves built into the left and right sides of your shower valve.
They are at the 9:00 o'clock and 3:00 o'clock position.
They have a straight slot to be turned by a flat screwdriver.
Sometimes they are only 1/4 turn from ON to OFF.
Sometimes they are multi-turn.
Sometimes minerals build up in there, and if you turn the shutoff back and forth several times, it might break up and release the mineral clog.
The hot shutoff usually is the one on the left, unless you have back to back showers, then it might be the right side.

It sometimes helps to have the water running slowly from the shower valve while you adjust the shutoff, if you don’t mind getting wet.
Don’t let too much water get into the wall.

I did. Nothing changed. The strange thing is the hot water shuts off when I turn off the hot water valve, as it should, but when back on and I turn off the cold it shuts the hot off too

Nevermind Jeff. I think it's good now. I think there was something clogged in there. I also noticed I have have been tightening the metal piece that secures the cartridge too much which stopped water flow. Thank you for your help

Back