Getting Into Septic Pumping

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric_WithTheCity

Reaction score
Hello all!

Im new to the forum so please forgive me if I'm posting an old topic or in the wrong thread. I currently work for a municipal water treatment facility and previously worked in a wastewater facility, and have a license in both WWT and WT.

For the last three years or so I've been dreaming of starting a septic pumping and portable restroom business. In my area (central MN) theres two well known companies, and a few one man operations that dont really advertise.

Is it possible to start the business as a side gig while building a client base, or is it something that I'd need to dive into full force right away? Ideally I'd like to buy a used pumper truck and start slowly, but after startup fees, licensing, and other variables I'm afraid a few tanks a month would leave me dead in the water.

I did recently have a new septic put in my house and the guy who pumped my old tank ran a small company and seemed fairly old. Im not sure if he had a son or something that was going to take it over, or if he'd sell in the coming years, but maybe theres an in to the industry there? Just dreaming...

I've researched hours on end, but just want to see if anyone has advise to get this en devour off the ground.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I’d start with a relatively small pumper and specialize in the spot-a-pots in the beginning.

If you are a veteran, look into starting your business as a Veteran owned business, and trying to focus on government users. I’m not sure what the situation is in Minnesota, but where I am in the west, the government rents quite a few for fires, and steelhead fishing seasons.

Also, you might look into starting a small water systems operator for hire business . The owners/operators of small transient water sustained are pretty stressed to find licensed operators for their regulated systems.

I have gotten calls from the DEQ, asking if I would be interested in working for Small systems which are in trouble.

I operate about fifty small water systems, 26 of which are regulated by the State. When I retire there is going to be a huge problem replacing me.

FishScreener, I do go back and forth on septics only, or buying 10 or 15 portas and a slide in unit for the back of my pickup to start out. The portas seem like they'd be a little more lucrative.

Im not a veteran, but I used to work for a large construction company in my area that typically has 3-4 units on their sites for months at a time. I left on good terms with them and like to think they'd give me business when possible, but you can never be sure.

There is one large company in my area that has their units EVERYWHERE. I think it'd take some door knocking and building being personable with companies just to let them know there is another porta potty supplier in the area.

Maybe theres less risk in renting out portas?

It would let you keep your day job, and expand as business grows.

I’d still look at contract small water system operator opportunities.

Back