Getting Frustrated

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldernDirt

Reaction score
City of the Big Shooters - Chicago, Ill-ANNOY
Had a small leak in the main waste pipe exiting the house. Plumber came out fixed the leak. 2 weeks later water started leaking again in the same area, so thought it was the same leak. Not so! Turned out this was coming from the bathroom the other side of the wall from the first leak. Plumber pulled the toilet and saw the pipe had TP visible. Ran some water and watched it come up in the pipe, so assumed it was plugged. He rodded the pipe to about 40 feet when the plug broke and water began to run out. Ran water, the washing machine and a tub of water, no leaks. Problem solved I could hear the water running out the pipe. Wrong! Sunday, one week later, used the washer, it drained and the floor was soaked. Walked around to the bathroom and there was the toilet pouring water and sewage out. This is/was the THIRD time it was supposedly "fixed" and it's even worse now.
What could be the problem!? It was fine for 2 weeks, then plugged. Rodded and was fine for a week and plugged.

Bummer is right.

Tech that did the original job is coming back out, but, no camera, it's in for repair. :( He's going to re-rod the line to at least get it open and useable then come back for the time being when he gets the camera back.

How far is it to the sewer main at the street. The snake should be ran that far and then see what happens.

Ran the snake out to the main line in the street yesterday. Found a "blockage" about 8 feet from the access point into the line. This was something new since he rodded the line back on the 18th. From there on out there was nothing, no blockages, no roots. He thinks the blockage at 8 feet may have been TP since nothing was on the cutter when he pulled it back. The company got their camera back from repair so he's coming back today to run it through the line to see if there's some "other" problems. Here's hoping this doesn't get really expensive! :eek::eek:

thanks for the update,
i do not wanna jinks your success, but if the line was rodded out on the 18th
then he says it is a wad of tp on the 25th
that seems mighty soon/quick for a wad of tp to collect in a pipe

inless

he did not rod that far on the 18th
or, you have a belly or a root in your pipe

let us know what the camera sees

On the 18th he rodded only 40 feet the drain seemed to open and flow and we thought, end of the problem. As he retracted the snake there were roots at the end.
On Sunday the 24th the line again plugged and sewage came out up through the basement toilet.
On the 25th he went all the way out to the main (street) and found another block at about 8 feet, which cleared with no problems. Nothing was on the cutter when he brought it back out so he "assumed" the block was TP and the cutter shredded it, that's why nothing was on the cutter or the line. Water was again flowing freely through the system. He suggested, to be sure the line was clear and "ok," the videoing of the line.
Yesterday he came back with his camera and sent it down the line. At about 8 feet, smack in the middle of the basement floor, and where the blockage was he broke through the day before, he saw a "Y or T," it was hard to tell. We both saw that the wall on one side had collapsed into the line and needed to be replaced. So he said they'd need to put about a 2' x 4' hole in the basement floor and dig, he thinks about 18" down to get to the pipe and replace it. Just waiting now for him to call back with an estimate for the job! :eek:

Lol thats why i dont mark my locations, or worst ,another company goes to do the work lol

You could offer to do the concrete breaking yourself. It could save you a fair amount of money. You could also do the digging and concrete patching. Just use them to replace pipe.

LOL! Look ay my name and you'll know why I'm having them do the work. My digging, breaking concrete days are "well" behind me! I had a price in mind that I thought it would cost, and their estimate was only a couple hundred dollars higher which I thought was reasonable.

Sounds like you probably have roots growing in your sewer main. Happens all the time here and they can be a pain. You can run cable through it and unstop it and it may last a year or only a couple days. I have always ran a big cutter head whenever I was hitting or thought I was hitting roots.

We once rented a house for a couple of weeks vacation in Florida and within two days the sewer line backed up. We called the owners who arranged for a plumber to come snake out the line. All was fine for two days until it backed up again! This time he ran a camera down the line and discovered the line from this house crosses under the neighbour's driveway before joining the city sewer line at the street. And right where our sewer line passes under the neighbour's driveway somebody had also run a new TV cable under the driveway but punched it directly *through* our sewer line, in one side and out the other. Toilet paper was snagging on that TV cable and blocking the sewer line. They were going to have to dig up the neighbour's driveway to access the pipe. He wasn't happy to hear that. Sure glad we were only renting and didn't have to pay for any of that aggravation.

Yeah, it can be a pain. My line there also goes under the neighbors driveway and through their back yard before it connects to the city line. Fortunately, after they sent a camera down the line, they found the problem was only 8 feet from the access point, bad part, it is right in the center of one of the rooms in the basement. They're coming today to open up the floor, hopefully find no other problems, and replace the broken pipe they saw.
I was relieved to find I didn't have to dig up the "expletive deleted" neighbor's yard, it would have been nothing but problems. The wife over there once called the police on my 9 and 11 year old grandchildren because they ran across the #itch's front grass. My daughter and son in law have tried to befriend the #itch to no avail so they tell the kids to stay away from her and her house. She's just one of those hateful #itches who wakes up in the morning hating everything and everybody. Glad I didn't have to deal with her.

Yeah, it can be a pain. My line there also goes under the neighbors driveway and through their back yard before it connects to the city line. Fortunately, after they sent a camera down the line, they found the problem was only 8 feet from the access point, bad part, it is right in the center of one of the rooms in the basement. They're coming today to open up the floor, hopefully find no other problems, and replace the broken pipe they saw.
I was relieved to find I didn't have to dig up the "expletive deleted" neighbor's yard, it would have been nothing but problems. The wife over there once called the police on my 9 and 11 year old grandchildren because they ran across the #itch's front grass. My daughter and son in law have tried to befriend the #itch to no avail so they tell the kids to stay away from her and her house. She's just one of those hateful #itches who wakes up in the morning hating everything and everybody. Glad I didn't have to deal with her.

Sounds like it would have been awesome to dig up the old bitties lawn! Our neighborhood has the same time.

it is illegal [most places] for your utilities to pass over/through another property

I too have an easement that crosses my backyard neighbor's property, where the builder of my home installed a 5" PVC drain line. This line extents into the concrete curb where they core cut this line to drain my backyard. I shudder to think how I would handle demanding access to my easement, but I guarantee I would get an attorney involved.

Back