General Softener Question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrelmo

Reaction score
We have been using an AO Smith water softner for 2 years now. Seasonal 1 bath 2 bedroom cottage very limited usage. In general it has been serving us very well, this unit was selected mainly for it's physical foot print. My understanding which maybe wrong is a softner regenerates when the media needs to be flushed. You enter your numbers and the controller tells when to regenerate. My question is can the softness of the water be adjusted. It feels to be too soft, almost border line slimy.

See what grain yours is set at and then lower the number. See if that changes it. You can find the grain setting in your manual.

yes I can change the grain setting. But that will only lengthen the regeneration time (increase the number of gallons before regeneration) correct?

If the grain of your water is low and the setting is fairly high on your softener then it will use more salt and water which will make
the water seem slimy and slippery

Latest posts

Back