General septic tank questions

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Cee

Reaction score
Hello, all. New to this board and I have two unrelated questions if someone can help.

1. My home is on a 1000 gallon septic tank installed in 1990. It was last pumped in 2005, operates properly and has virtually no scum mat and less than 8 inches of sludge. Of course, I am well beyond the recommended 3-5 year pump cycle but given the above measurements do I need to pump and why with such low level of contents in the tank?

2. My sons house is on a 1500 gallon tank that was installed in central Georgia in 1992. Would such a tank have only one chamber and how likely would it be for this tank to have only one entry port?

I believe filters were introduced in the late 90's so neither of these tanks should have these.

Thanks.

Hello, all. New to this board and I have two unrelated questions if someone can help.

1. My home is on a 1000 gallon septic tank installed in 1990. It was last pumped in 2005, operates properly and has virtually no scum mat and less than 8 inches of sludge. Of course, I am well beyond the recommended 3-5 year pump cycle but given the above measurements do I need to pump and why with such low level of contents in the tank?

2. My sons house is on a 1500 gallon tank that was installed in central Georgia in 1992. Would such a tank have only one chamber and how likely would it be for this tank to have only one entry port?

I believe filters were introduced in the late 90's so neither of these tanks should have these.

Thanks.

I would check the condition and depth into tank. If not broken (like mine) and the bottom of the outlet baffle, isn't close to the sludge level, I would wait.
Also be sure there is an inlet baffle (tee).
It prevents any scum from plugging inlet.
Mine didn't have one.
It was plugged with scum.
After the tank was pumped, and they told me, I needed a new $4500 tank, I replaced the broken outlet baffle, with one with a cleanable filter, and installed a PVC tee, and down pipe (baffle) on the inlet pipe.
The pumping company said an inlet baffle wasn't needed! Not!
Research, look at diagrams of septic tank, and understand how it works.
Very simple.

Latest posts

Back