General question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MX450

Reaction score
I have a 600ft well that I use a 2hp submersible pump to get water to my house. Recently the pump went out and the well guys want $7500 to pull/replace/reinstall a new pump. My question is can I just use an above-ground pump to attach to my current 600ft of pipe and pump to restore water to my house? If so, what size and kind of pump will I need?

I am afraid the well guy has you by the short hairs. An above ground pump can only draw from a max of about 24' deep. 7500 sounds a little steep for a $1000 pump. But if he is the only well guy around he can charge those kind of prices. He needs some competition. If the pump last 20 year that is still only a buck a day. Might want to go with a cistern set up to take as many cycles off the deep pump as possible, a cycling on and off is the main killer of all pumps.

LOW YIELD WELL_ CENTRIFUGAL_PK1A.jpg

I don't know crap about 600' pumps, but what is the chance a homeowner could pull the dead pump up by themselves, replace it, then drop it back down?

Steel pipe would be 2500-3000 pounds of wet slippery wire and pipe that has to come apart (not easily) every 21'. I have seen it done with the tripod thing but it scares the hell out of me. Rent an Upsy dayz and it would be much safer. Having the right tools is the key, but knowing what you are doing helps. Sometimes the homeowner does a better job. Good contractors are hard to find. Lol!

Latest posts

Back