gate valves - guts/inners interchangeable?

Discussion in 'General Plumbing Help' started by esp, Jul 27, 2013.

Help Support Plumbing Forums by donating:

1. Jul 27, 2013 #1

esp

esp

esp

Had a project that required me to turn off water to the house. Main shutoff didn't work so had the water company shut it off at the street. Main shutoff is a gate valve.

question - Are the inners of a gate valve, I don't know what the correct term would be but, the stem/disc/handle assembly you can screw out of the body commonly or ever interchangeable. I just read that gate valves commonly give out as main shutoffs, so if the whole inner assembly isn't replaceable, is the part that usually gives out replaceable? ie can I just snag another disc of the same size if they're the issue and swap it in there.

2. Jul 27, 2013 #2

camaroderrick73

camaroderrick73

camaroderrick73

Professional Professional

I say good luck. Maybe 1 out if 10 you be able to find the exact gate valve to replace it with. Most likely will have to replace the whole housing

3. Jul 27, 2013 #3

havasu

havasu

havasu

Administrator Staff Member Admin

As Camaro said above, it is possible to just replace the guts of your gate valve, provided you have a common type. As a homeowner myself, I did this as a quick remedy, and was lucky enough to find the exact replacement guts at a local Ace hardware. Obviously your better option would be to replace it with a nice, American made ball valve, which will last alot longer than any gate valve.

johnjh2o likes this.
  4. Jul 29, 2013 #4

Christoph

Christoph

Christoph

I always get a little worried when I have to use an old gate valve. Seems like they always want to break at the worst time. I'd swap out for a new ball valve if it was up to me.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013