Gasket won’t screw on!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alamb1101

Reaction score
I just cleaned out my bathroom sink and have been trying in vain just to screw on the gasket for the sink stopper assembly. Has the thread been stripped? Help!

0D02A8C2-1206-4506-9C6C-9F530CF7CC9E.jpeg

Yes, it looks stripped.
Try removing the lift lever, then screw on the retaining nut.
Be sure to screw it on straight, not crooked or cross-threaded.
If you push hard enough, you might get the nut to skip past those first mangled threads.
It might sort of re-thread itself enough to work.
Then take off the nut, put the lever back in, and put the nut back on.
Otherwise, you are looking at replacing the entire sink drain.

Thanks! Just tried it without the lift lever and ball and it still won’t go on. So that entire assembly would need to be replaced?

I would say yes.
Maybe others will have a better idea.

One other fix would be to find a metal nut with the same thread size and spacing, to force on there as a re-threader.

But finding that exact thread size and spacing might be tough.

You could take the plastic nut to a hardware store or big box, and without forcing it, see what size of threaded bolt (or more likely a male plumbing fitting) it screws onto.

It looks like approx 1/2 inch.
It might be compression thread or iron pipe size.

Then buy a female nut or fitting in that size, as a re-threader tool.

Last edited:
You can visually see the deformity and I would try a knife file to remove the deformity in the valley of the plastic threads to get the cap started. If the female threads in the cap are now deformed significantly as well .... probably need to replace the assembly.

This kit looks like your exact same plastic nut.
You can probably also find these at Ace or HD or Lowes etc.
A brand new nut might be able to burn its way through.
https://www.amazon.com/Master-Plumber-PS2673-Center-Assembly/dp/B000BQN9U6
Or buying a repair kit like this but with a metal nut, one of them might have the right threads and could cut its way onto the damaged plastic threads.

If you warm it first (careful application of heat gun), it may be easier to realign the deformed threads.

You can also try filing it off, since there's lots of thread behind it.

You can’t file off or cut off any of the damaged threads.
Because there is a shaped seal right there, that seals against the ball of the lever.
If the seal is gone, the nut will leak when running high volume water, or when draining a full sink.

Because there is a shaped seal right there, that seals against the ball of the lever.
If the seal is gone, the nut will leak when running high volume water, or when draining a full sink.
Part of being a good mechanic is knowing when to not waste your time.

your post is 100%

You can try this first if you are going to replace it, grease the ball, then put
abs glue on the male and female parts and screw together but not to the point it strips . wait one hour and the see , nothing ventured nothing gained

You can try this first if you are going to replace it, grease the ball, then put
abs glue on the male and female parts and screw together but not to the point it strips . wait one hour and the see , nothing ventured nothing gained

Why wouldn’t you just replace it ? I being sincere......

It could work , and for free .

Let me explain why it would not work.

The threads do not seal the drain. The threads pull the horizontal ball rod tight to create the seal while still allowing it to pivot up and down.. Using abs solvent wouldn’t perform that draw-tite seal.

I’m also not certain that plastic is ABS to begin with.

Sometimes in the long run it’s best just to spend $30-40 for a drain that will last 30-40 years. Literally.....

I been schooled, and that's a good thing. Thanks, Jeff and Twowaxhack for the education.

Latest posts

Back