Gas water heater vent

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenuel80

Reaction score
Hi, is the vent angle acceptable in this picture? Or do I need to disassemble and stretch to exactly 90 gedrees? Any comments will be appreciated, thanks.

20180320_163337.jpg

Around here, double walled venting is required and also the CPVC should not be rigidly connected to the top of the water heater. Lastly, in my area, earthquake straps are required to stop any movement

Also did that heater not come with a flue cap connection. Most up draft heaters have an air gap on the top to help exhaust gases. Also, that cpvc is to close to the exhaust. That is why we used to have to run 18" of copper out of the heater.

Around here, double walled venting is required and also the CPVC should not be rigidly connected to the top of the water heater. Lastly, in my area, earthquake straps are required to stop any movement

Hi, yes, it is double vented. Meaning it has 2 exhoust pipes (one small exhaust inside). The water heater came with those pipes. I live in Maryland, the old one didnt have straps. Do I need to add earthquake straps? Aslo, how should I connect the cpvc to the tank? I will definitely run copper from the tank past the exhoust as suggested in another reply. Thanks for your response.

Also did that heater not come with a flue cap connection. Most up draft heaters have an air gap on the top to help exhaust gases. Also, that cpvc is to close to the exhaust. That is why we used to have to run 18" of copper out of the heater.

Hi, the water heater came with that vent. Its double vented (it has a another pipe vent inside the 6in vent). I also installed a restricter plate on the outlet top exhaust exit as recommended by the manufacturer when the horizontal run is less than 30in. I will definitely add and run copper past the exhaust. Thank you for your reply.

The heater came with that vent. Its double vented and didnt come with a flue cap connection. I will definitely add and run copper past the exhaust. Thanks for your reply.

Last edited:
Your water heater is vented correctly. This is a direct vent. The vent piping is set up to exhaust and bring intake air from outside all in one.

Your water heater is vented correctly. This is a direct vent. The vent piping is set up to exhaust and bring intake air from outside all in one.
Tom - I am not a plumber nor an expert, but I did install a direct vent water heater in my own home. It does not have the capability of taking in outside air for combustion, but, for the exhaust, it has a blower on top of the heater that forces the exhaust gases out. Is there a blower on this water heater?

Tom - I am not a plumber nor an expert, but I did install a direct vent water heater in my own home. It does not have the capability of taking in outside air for combustion, but, for the exhaust, it has a blower on top of the heater that forces the exhaust gases out. Is there a blower on this water heater?

Theres no blower, installed as instructed in manual. The instructions say that the vent angles should be 90 degrees though. Mine is slightly less, thats why I posted.

Theres no blower, installed as instructed in manual. The instructions say that the vent angles should be 90 degrees though. Mine is slightly less, thats why I posted.
So then the exhaust depends on convection only? I guess that is why they require a slightly up sloping exhaust pipe. May I ask the cost of that water heater?

So then the exhaust depends on convection only? I guess that is why they require a slightly up sloping exhaust pipe. May I ask the cost of that water heater?

I paid $1420 for the water heater and they were charging $1100 for the removal of the old one and installation of the new one.

No blower on this direct vent. I think you have a power vent water heater. Does it vent out in pvc or abs?

No blower on this direct vent. I think you have a power vent water heater. Does it vent out in pvc or abs?
Pvc. I believe that was code when it was installed, but I have read that it is no longer code. I am not sure.

Latest posts

Back