Gas Water Heater running continuously, but only have warm water ?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F1CHRIS

Reaction score
Hello - First time here, looking for advice.

Have a GE 40 gallon unit, probably 6-8 yrs old. I noticed the hot water has turned to warm. Also, noticed on my utility bill that I seem to be using twice the gas. Then, paid more attention to the water heater and noticed that it does not seem to turn off. The thermostat control on it is turned up to MAX. I tried turning it own to warm to see if the unit would turn off. No luck, fire still going.

Side note - I learned on-line how to flush it out. It has never been done, to my knowledge. I did it last night. Even took off the small, mickey mouse plastic valve and replaced it with a 3/4" gate valve and pipe to get the big pieces out (as per this video). I even eliminated the valve, and flushed it again, when I saw it still had big flakes in it. But, result is unit still is continuously running and only making very warm water.

I looked for water leaks around the house. No leaks to be found and the overflow valve looks fine and dry.

I suspect there is a problem with the thermostat, but it is confusing me as it is continually running but only making very warm water ? It used to burn you, it was so hot. Or that it is just worn out and needs to be replaced...?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chris - San Diego, CA

I don't have practical experience with gas heaters but I have read that a broken cold water entry tube inside the tank which allows cold water to enter at the top versus the bottom will drop overall temperature..... but if you're not using hot water it doesn't explain the constant running.
If there is a heavy layer of settled crap at the bottom of your tank you may have to physically break it up before it will flush out..... and I do not know if you can accomplish that through your 3/4 drain valve with a water wand or long piece of romex wire.
If you haven't checked / replaced the anode rod in an 8 year unit you may be better off with replacement.
I'm guessing pulling the cold water nipple to check the tube would be a challenge getting out.

Attachments

• Wand.jpg
    Wand.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hello - First time here, looking for advice.

Have a GE 40 gallon unit, probably 6-8 yrs old. I noticed the hot water has turned to warm. Also, noticed on my utility bill that I seem to be using twice the gas. Then, paid more attention to the water heater and noticed that it does not seem to turn off. The thermostat control on it is turned up to MAX. I tried turning it own to warm to see if the unit would turn off. No luck, fire still going.

Side note - I learned on-line how to flush it out. It has never been done, to my knowledge. I did it last night. Even took off the small, mickey mouse plastic valve and replaced it with a 3/4" gate valve and pipe to get the big pieces out (as per this video). I even eliminated the valve, and flushed it again, when I saw it still had big flakes in it. But, result is unit still is continuously running and only making very warm water.

I looked for water leaks around the house. No leaks to be found and the overflow valve looks fine and dry.

I suspect there is a problem with the thermostat, but it is confusing me as it is continually running but only making very warm water ? It used to burn you, it was so hot. Or that it is just worn out and needs to be replaced...?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chris - San Diego, CA
You have a hot water leak.

Back