Gas water heater pilot light question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joejohnson718

Reaction score
Hello everyone my question is how much gas should the pilot on a hot water heater use? Should I see the dial in my gas meter turn? It turns slowly about one rotation every 20-30 min so about 1. Cubic foot per 40 min - hour

Last edited by a moderator:
No idea but you could turn off the water heater and take a reading for 30 minutes and then turn the water heater back on snd take a reading after 30 minutes.

The difference is how much gas the pilot is burning. Leave the water heater on pilot to make sure it doesn’t fire during the test.

I’m trying too see. If I have a. Gas leak
So I would. Have. To shut the water Heater complety and. See if the dial turns , but it does. Say online a piolt should burn 1 cubic foot an hour

Shut off all gas appliances. If meter continues to spun, you have a gas leak. In my area, I can call my gas company and they will help me to try to pinpoint the location of the leak. If you don't have this luxury, call someone who knows what they are doing, and licensed to perform the needed repair work.

Shut off all gas appliances. If meter continues to spun, you have a gas leak. In my area, I can call my gas company and they will help me to try to pinpoint the location of the leak. If you don't have this luxury, call someone who knows what they are doing, and licensed to perform the needed repair work.
The last time I called. My gas company cus I thought. I had a leak they shut. Gas off and I had too pay 6 grand. To get. Everything up to code , we did a. Pressure test when done and everything was good and the pipe then pinpointed as. Has a leak wasn’t even changed

The last time I called. My gas company cus I thought. I had a leak they shut. Gas off and I had too pay 6 grand. To get. Everything up to code , we did a. Pressure test when done and everything was good and the pipe then pinpointed as. Has a leak wasn’t even changed
That’s how. it works so you don’t. Go. Boom.

That’s how. it works so you don’t. Go. Boom.
Right. But If. I reallly had. A. Gas leak in that. Pipe then the pressure test would. Of failed. Unless that. Pipe was changed. So that means they messed. Up or lied I couldn’t have. Had a leak in that pipe

Right. But If. I reallly had. A. Gas leak in that. Pipe then the pressure test would. Of failed. Unless that. Pipe was changed. So that means they messed. Up or lied I couldn’t have. Had a leak in that pipe

If you think you have a leak then you need to shut the gas off and have a pressure test done.

It’s that simple.

I feel like I'm reading a telegram with all the periods you have every couple of words....

As am I. It might be the result of some sort of dictation software run amok. Good luck getting to the bottom of this Joe!
Sorry I have big hands so I’m always accidentally hitting The period because I come on here quick at work. On another note I looked up how many cubic feet A pilot light should give and it’s within range of how fast my meter is spinning when the water heater isn’t firing, This seems like a really easy question but no one noes not even my Plumber

Sorry I have big hands so I’m always accidentally hitting The period because I come on here quick at work. On another note I looked up how many cubic feet A pilot light should give and it’s within range of how fast my meter is spinning when the water heater isn’t firing, This seems like a really easy question but no one noes not even my Plumber

Different pilots can burn different amounts of gas.

Watching a gas meter and then calculating in pilot use is not the proper way to check for gas leaks.

It’ll tell you if you have a major leak or not but the size of the leak is not the only or determining factor as to how dangerous a gas leak is. There are many factors.

It’s not an accurate way to check for a leak.

Last edited:
Speaking of pilots lights, do they make traditional tank type water heaters without a standing pilot light and maybe a hot surface ignitor like the type used in your HVAC system? If not I wonder why not?

Speaking of pilots lights, do they make traditional tank type water heaters without a standing pilot light and maybe a hot surface ignitor like the type used in your HVAC system? If not I wonder why not?
A power vent water heater uses that type of ignition system. It does not have a standing pilot.

A power vent water heater uses that type of ignition system. It does not have a standing pilot.
The first power vent water heater in my new home, 1992, had a standing pilot. It was the pilot that kept going out at inopportune times, generally the middle of the night such that when you got up early in the AM for a shower there was insufficient hot water.
The water heater was fine other than that problem but at 8 years I decided on a new one. That, along with the 2nd replacement years later were spark ignition I think. In any case no standing pilot.

Latest posts

Back