gas water heater in converted garage

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uranga

Reaction score
im sure this has been answered on here before, but here it goes. I have a home with a converted garage right above 400sqt of space. it has a ductless ac system now. we want to use this as an office/multi purpose room. it has the ventilation at the top, that goes through the attic into outside via piping. as far as a living space, i'd like to just place CO detectors and block the water heater from the children with plantation shutters/ louvered. is it a must to enclose and vent to outside, sealed, being is in such a huge room?

Attachments

• 20210820_151934.jpg
    20210820_151934.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
Sorry, I can not make sense out of your post.
Is the garage above or below this living space?
Converted garage is the living space?
Do you want to just vent the heater exhaust into the room?
Why do you want to abandon the exhaust route out to the roof?
Does not compute.

sorry for any confusion. no! I do not want abandon the exhaust from the roof. my question was: is it safe for the gas water heater to remain in the converted garage with over a 400 sqt room for combustible air flow? it is NOT in the main central air.. it is cut off / seperated from house via laundry room. the converted garage now has its own ductless ac system (previously a 2 car garage, normal garage door,, no ac) id like to just block the water heater knobs and stuff from children with shutters. this way if I ever have to service it, it will be easy. I don't want to build a closet, seal it off, and do further venting. again as of now it does have the roof ventilation. im attaching a picture of how I'd like to block it off from kids without restricting airflow. thanks in advance.

Attachments

• cb705f5c1c337f70b12d11da0c93aaa3.jpg
    cb705f5c1c337f70b12d11da0c93aaa3.jpg
    655.4 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Back