Gas water heater burner flame condition

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The installer will not be returning, they are sending a service tech tomorrow sometime between 10am-2pm. Hopefully this call is upheld.

The installer will not be returning, they are sending a service tech tomorrow sometime between 10am-2pm. Hopefully this call is upheld.

I call the installer the company who installed it, not the individual man.

Good luck with it. ✌️

a question is the tank an atmospheric tank or a power vent . also if it was my house and the kids were seven or under i would set the temp at 120.

The tank is atmospheric. I have the tank set to 120. That is where we had our old Rheem set for the past 16 years and I see no reason to change it.

A follow up. On my quest to find someone with first-hand experience with these Rheem and Giant tanks (and therefore the burner and flame expectations) I sent a message and my video to another installer I've had communication with in the past. He just happened to previously rent the same 40 gallon Rheem and recently switched to the same 40 gallon Giant we now have (both natural gas atmospheric). He agreed that his Giant is MUCH louder than his Rheem was. Looking at my video, he initially suspected a gas pressure issue (the Giant reg. pressure is 4.0" water column) , then he asked a bunch of troubleshooting questions (mostly about air supply in the room), then had me check a few things (vent backdraft). Everything seemed to check out fine. Late that day he sent me a video of his Giant burner flame - it looks almost identical to mine. His might actually have more yellow to it:

Anyway, we had our service call yesterday. Young kid with six years install experience, now a tech. He checked the pressure on my request - right on 4.0". I asked all the questions we had, he said he didn't see/hear any issues, signed his work order and away he went. I guess in the end, it was much ado about nothing. We'll get used to the roaring over time, and hope it's as good to us as our Rheem was. I just hope I don't kick myself for preemptively switching out our quiet, reliable 16 year old Rheem.

Thanks to both of you for your help. Take care!

Latest posts

Back