Gas Valve Reassembly

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Draper

Reaction score
In converting a propane smoker to natural gas, I have to widen the orifice using a #51 drill bit. While struggling with a frozen and stripped screw on the valve, some of the guts of the valve spilled out and I have no idea how they were arranged on the inside. These include a spring and two washer-like wafers of metal with rectangular slots and small tabs on the outer rim.

My first thought was to just order a new valve from the manufacturer, but after three days, I can't get any response from their customer service. Is there any hope for me to reassemble this valve properly or does that vary too much from manufacturer to manufacturer?

A generic valve that will work fine is most likely available. It will be cheaper than the manufacturer's.

Find the BTU rating of the smoker and the dimensions of the valve, then shop on line or even at a hardware store.

Plan B: If your city has commercial appliance repair places, perhaps one of those will reassemble the valve or have an exploded view for you.

A generic valve that will work fine is most likely available. It will be cheaper than the manufacturer's.

Find the BTU rating of the smoker and the dimensions of the valve, then shop on line or even at a hardware store.

Plan B: If your city has commercial appliance repair places, perhaps one of those will reassemble the valve or have an exploded view for you.

Thanks for the ideas!

Latest posts

Back