Gas shutoff valve locking mechanism

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adb

Reaction score
My gas valve at the meter is in the open position and cannot turn to the OFF If needed which is bad. I know i have to loosen the nut on the right (right arrow), do I also need to loosen the nut indicated by the left arrow? if yes what tool should i use? looks like a 3 grove socket or similar?
Thanks
GasValve.JPG

Does the other side of that valve had a slot to turn? To me, it looks like you are working from the wrong side?

I don't know....maybe mine is different?

Does the other side of that valve had a slot to turn? To me, it looks like you are working from the wrong side?

I don't know....maybe mine is different?
The other side has the normal rectangular metal tab where you insert the wrench to turn ON or OFF but it doesn't turn and that's perhaps the side indicated in the picture has a locking nut but i am not sure about the one to the left.

You should leave that valve alone if it’s on the inlet side of the meter because it belongs to the gas provider.

If you want a valve to operate then it needs to be on the outlet side of the meter, the customer side of the gas meter

You should leave that valve alone if it’s on the inlet side of the meter because it belongs to the gas provider.

If you want a valve to operate then it needs to be on the outlet side of the meter, the customer side of the gas meter
What if there is an emergency? I know I don't own the meter but I assume also homeowners should be able to shut off the valve in an event of an emergency. That valve doesn't turn as it is now hence my original question

I know Two Whack is an expert, but I shut mine off occasionally. Yours is probably stuck in position and the paint caked on doesn't help. Use a bigger wrench? Every store in my area sales gas valve wrenches, and recommend that these wrenches be zip tied to the gas meter to have quick access to turn off the gas.

What if there is an emergency? I know I don't own the meter but I assume also homeowners should be able to shut off the valve in an event of an emergency. That valve doesn't turn as it is now hence my original question
It’ll probably turn if you put a big enough wrench on it and are strong enough to turn it.

You should call the gas provider and ask them to service the valve. They may or may not honor your request.

If you want a valve to turn on and off it needs to be installed installed on the customer side of the meter.

I know Two Whack is an expert, but I shut mine off occasionally. Yours is probably stuck in position and the paint caked on doesn't help. Use a bigger wrench? Every store in my area sales gas valve wrenches, and recommend that these wrenches be zip tied to the gas meter to have quick access to turn off the gas.
You can use it but it’s not yours. You shouldn’t work on it.

Technically if you want a valve it should be on the customer side. Same with water.

I can try to use a bigger wrench but back to my original question, does anyone know if that nut on the opposite side indicated by the left arrow need to get loosened or not really. That's all.

Call your gas company and let them know the condition of your main shutoff valve. I assume this meter is in an outdoor location.

First, as others have said, do NOT loosen that nut on the backside of the valve. It should never be loosened unless that valve is removed from service for maintenance.

Second, all gas company valves I've seen prior to a meter have a locking hasp. The gas company is required to close a valve to a residence and lock it closed during certain modifications and prior to energizing the gas line after new construction and only after they inspect the gas lines and appliances.

See the two pictures below.
Gas 1.jpgGas 2.jpg

I would like to see the other side of your valve. Could the wrench tab and the hasps be broken off of your valve and have been painted over multiple times?

And you are absolutely correct, that that main valve should be able to be operated by you in the case of an emergency. If your gas clothes dryer in your basement stops working and your wife pulls it out and it falls over breaking the gas connection, and she runs upstairs, you have three main options.
1. Run down the stairs and close the gas valve on the line running to the dryer.
2. Call the gas company/fire department and have them come out and close the main shutoff valve to your house.
3. Go outside and close the main shutoff valve yourself.

You could also stop paying your gas bill and I bet the gas company would come out and close that valve and lock it somehow, which as I see it would require replacing that valve.

Jeez oh Pete. Listen to @Twowaxhack . Do not touch it. This is a dangerous condition to have a valve that you cannot shut off easily. Call the gas company and have it changed. If they give you any grief, call the fire department and have them make the call for you. I don’t know of any gas company that would intentionally let the dangerous condition exist. Until you called him, you won’t know.

The gas company might say leave our valve alone, it’s fine.

Just because a homeowner can’t turn it doesn’t mean there’s a problem with the valve. They’re often tight and require a 14” or bigger wrench.

It’s not there for a homeowner.

If a homeowner wants a valve, install it on the customer piping on the customer side of the meter.

It’s a really simple concept.

The gas company might say leave our valve alone, it’s fine.

Just because a homeowner can’t turn it doesn’t mean there’s a problem with the valve. They’re often tight and require a 14” or bigger wrench.

It’s not there for a homeowner.

If a homeowner wants a valve, install it on the customer piping on the customer side of the meter.

It’s a really simple concept.
In an emergency, that valve is here for anyone who can operate it. Homeowner, fireman, policeman, plumber, etc.

adb, call your gas company immediately and tell them your situation. Gas companies are all about providing safe utility systems to your house. Keep going up the management ladder if you receive any resistance. Your fire department may be able to assist you as well should your gas company refuses to supply a safe operatable valve.

In an emergency, that valve is here for anyone who can operate it. Homeowner, fireman, policeman, plumber, etc.

adb, call your gas company immediately and tell them your situation. Gas companies are all about providing safe utility systems to your house. Keep going up the management ladder if you receive any resistance. Your fire department may be able to assist you as well should your gas company refuses to supply a safe operatable valve.

In an emergency sure…….

But the gas company doesn’t need to make the valve operable for anyone except the gas company.

They’re not going to run out and replace valves so a homeowner can turn it off easily.

It’s not meant for a homeowner to turn off, that’s why it requires a wrench.

Homeowner valves for service go on the homeowners piping, that’s on the customer side of the gas meter.

It’s really simple to understand if a person wants to accept how things work in the utility world.

Water company isn’t required to supply you a valve to turn off for service. You’re required to have your own valve. The only time you have permission to operate the city valve is if you’re maintaining or replacing your cut off valve on your piping. Customer side of meter.

The power company isn’t required to provide you with a cut off, breaker, etc.

Gas company is the same. If the valve works for them, that’s all they’re required to do.

This has came up countless times with my customers. The answer is the utility companies can service, replace or do nothing if they feel the valve works.

Last edited:
In an emergency sure…….
That's what I was talking about, an emergency.

I've called my local gas supplier twice, Spire Inc., and they have responded both times to replace THEIR valve.

One when I couldn't turn one on one of my houses with a 15" crescent wrench because it was installed pointing towards an inside corner such that no leverage could be applied to it.

The second time was when my neighbor's gas line was leaking after the meter before entering the house, thank goodness, and I smell it when mowing my lawn. I got them out of the house, they called the gas company, and I was able to operate that one with my 15" crescent wrench and a cheater. Both my neighbor and the gas service techs who responded thanked me for closing the valve as promptly as I did. These are houses that were built in the 50s and 70s, so the only shutoff valve they have is the gas company's valve. And I would be extremely surprised that any natural gas company would NOT come out and assure that a homeowner could operate THEIR valve. They may also recommend a house side shutoff valve be installed so that the homeowner doesn't have to operate THEIR valve.

The natural gas utility is handled WAY differently than water and electrical utilities because of the higher hazards associated with natural gas.

I couldn't find anything specifically on the Spire website, But here's something from the Pacific Gas Company website.

1667252142691.png

And of course, there are numerous articles, YouTubes, and instructions all over the web, including the 'king" of home remodeling, Bob Villa. LOL

Spire is also my provider. They’ll tell a homeowner if they want a service valve to install one on their piping on the customer side of the meter.

Most all meters require me to use a 14” wrench on and I’m 6’0 225 lbs. of get down to business strength.

They won’t replace a valve so grandma can turn it off with her pliers as a rule. It depends who you talk to.

That’s why I install ballvalves on the outlet of a lot of gas meters. It doesn’t require a tool, it’s easier to turn and it’s on the customers piping.

It should be required a ballvalve be installed on the outlet of a gas meter on my opinion. But the code people are silent on things that matter and go nuts over things that don’t matter.

Call up Spire or PG&E and ask them if you can loosen the nut on their gas valves to turn the valve off and see what they say 🤭

Latest posts

Back