Gas Piping

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timkins4292

Reaction score
I need to install gas piping from an outside meter underground through the basement wall of my house. Because of the surrounding dirt around the house It makes the meter above the inside floor of the house. Therefore I need to run about 12 inches of pipe laterally then 90 degree down for about 8 inches and then 90 degree again to run through a concrete block wall to tie in my fuel lines inside the house. Currently it is tied in using black iron piping but I am concerned about the lack of corrosion control on the black iron. When installed and before it was buried I used auto undercoating and tape to add some resistance to corrosion. Is there any PE pipe that can be used for this type of installation?

Yes, we can use a yellow PE pipe, just like the utilities use.
The fittings are either butt weld, fusion weld or push-fittings. Installers must be certified in all the methods. Tracer wire is always placed in the trench, and all must be minimum 18" burial for safety.
There is also, as a substitute for the plastic coated steel (aka Extrucoat), it is now epoxy coated steel, and needs 10/20 mil wrap to seal the joints.

I think that code allows, PE, Black Steel, sheathed copper tube, and CSST (Corrugated Stainless Steel Pipe).

Latest posts

Back