Gas Pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Reaction score
I am running a gas line from the back of my house out to my BBQ this weekend and the guy at my supply house said to use dope instead of tape? Is he correct?

There is a teflon tape made that is specifically intended for gas pipe. It is yellow.

There is a bit of a discussion along these lines in the proffessional's forum, check it out.

I hate teflon tape, yellow, white or purple. Rectorseal #5 FTW! It lubes, safe for gas, seals as it sets, stops leaks, but still allows for easy removal!

OK I have done a little bit of research and I think I will go with Rector seal #5 now do I combine that with tape or use it by itself. In the past I have always only used yellow tape and am afraid of change..

Do they sell it at the big box store or should I call my supplier?

It's sold everywhere. I buy it in a tube, similar to toothpaste, but there is also a larger container which looks like the pipe dope plastic bottle with an applicator. The product sticks out because the tube is yellow in color.

Latest posts

Back