Gas Pipe Size

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike-14

Reaction score
We are looking to add a generator to our house and I need to do a tee off of the gas meter to run about 10' over to the generator pad. My question is that it looks like the meter is a 3/4" outlet but I wanted to run 1" over to the generator. Should I still run 1" or just run 3/4" since the meter is only a 3/4" outlet?

What’s your gas pressure ? Take a pic of your gas meter for me. How many BTU’s does your generator use ?

You can find out your gas pressure by calling your gas supplier and giving them the service address.

You possibly may need to upgrade the meter. What other appliances do you have on gas ?

I’ll have to call the gas company on Monday but here is a pic of the meter and regulator. Generator max btu is 247k. 15209107-ACF0-4DC7-914A-6B6C1A74D026.jpeg6BE5F8E1-C09B-4DE2-A783-69F9B96F6378.jpeg

You can run 1” pipe to the generator, that will be fine but you most likely will need a visit from the gas company to change the max flow limiter on the outlet of your meter. You may even need a new meter depending on your current gas demands.

The meter is rated for 250cfh but it’ll flow about 350 on excursions if needed. Your generator is using what your meter is rated for.
1cfh is equal to approx. 1,000 btu
So if you have virtually any other appliances that use gas, you’ll need a meter upgrade.

It appears you have 7” wc of pressure on the outlet to the house.

It looks like the gas line on the output of the meter is 3/4”. Should I still run 1” or is it pointless since the meter is 3/4” out?

It looks like the gas line on the output of the meter is 3/4”. Should I still run 1” or is it pointless since the meter is 3/4” out?

Remember the PSI from the street is significantly more than what is delivered/regulated to the house - that is why it's only 3/4". Depending on your service you could have 15-65 PSI to the meter. Like @Twowaxhack said it's regulated down to 7" (approx 1/4 PSI)

Latest posts

Back