Gas flex line BTU rating and access distance from wall when stove is pulled out

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We just got a new gas stove (We got an American Range ARR 530), I have hooked up all of our previous dryers and ranges so figured this would be simple, but I have run into two issues:
  1. The BTU/hr rating is much higher than our previous range, and more than the flex line they sell at Home Depot
  2. The gas inlet on the range is way up almost to the top of the unit
BTU and gas flex line

Our new stove's rating in the manual is 113,000 BTU (even though if I add up all of the burners and burners it is only 96,000). As I went to go buy a new flex gas line I noticed that the 5/8" OD line at 48" long is only rated for 106,000 BTU/hr.

Would this be a problem to just use this size and length line?

Length of flex line

The gas inlet for the range is 30" off of the floor, and the gas valve from the house supply is a few inches off of the floor. So with a 48" line, I would have at most about 16" to pull the stove out from the wall to access the shutoff valve. Disconnecting the flex line likely wouldn't be too hard since the access door is up at the top, but I would have to climb onto the counter to get at it.

The previous stove had it's gas inlet on the bottom under the oven, so this is pretty different for me. I have no problem calling a plumber if I *have to* but would like to be able to get this done myself as it is the weekend and my wife would like to have a stove.

What do people think about the BTU rating of the flex line and only being able to pull the stove out 16" or so?

Another question:

The gas inlet for the range is a 90 degree street valve. Can/should I run a black pipe down behind the shroud and present a fitting at the bottom of the back cover? Seems like that would help with any length issues but it wouldn't be secured to the appliance, as I don't see a way to do that.

Is this intended to be a flex line all the way up to that street valve?

Thanks for the reply. The plumber did install that shutoff valve when we remodeled our basement a few years ago and they replace all of the gas plumbing, and it is accessible by sliding out the range. The shutoff used to be in the basement just below the kitchen floor and they moved it to that spot.

I've never heard of anyone in Minneapolis installing their shutoff anywhere besides behind the stove, in our case I don't know where that would go, since installing it into the cabinet would require gas plumbing work anytime you replaced that cabinet. Maybe I am off-base here, I am just trying to understand.

Where do most gas shutoff valves go in MN for a range?

By code the gas shut off can’t be behind the stove for obvious reasons. Now where should it be located you ask? Well I like it under the sink where the angle stops are but sometimes it’s to cluttered.
When you say you never heard of anyone installing there shut offs anywhere else but behind the stove are you talking about new installations or current locations. Most old buildings have it installed behind stove/range. Listen to the guru Frodo, Go look up your local code and then see if a plumber is able to reroute it to a better location.

Thank you! Yes what I meant was for existing older homes. I live in Minneapolis, in a neighborhood where most homes were built in the 1920s. Thank you for all of your advice, I am calling my plumber today.

Also, it looks like my supply line is 5/8" OD, which at a 20' run is only rated for about 50,000 BTU anyways (from what I can tell) so I need a plumber to assess and remedy that. Now hopefully they can replumb that line with my basement finished without having to tear up too much stuff.

Thank you again for your help!

As a final follow-up, I had my regular plumber come out and inspect the total run of the gas supply line, and give advice on the installation of the range.

He said that the inspectors here in Minneapolis do in fact require that the shutoff be behind the range, not in a cabinet. Also, my 5/8" OD, 1/2" ID gas supply line is rated well enough (over 100,000 BTU) for my stove and would work fine. I ended up hooking it up myself with a 1/2" ID flex line and everything is hunky-dory. Thanks to everyone for the advice!

Back