Gas fire - thermopile issue? Pilot lights but no flame.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dawn dish soap in a spray bottle with warm water makes a pretty good leak detector.

Don’t over tighten things thinking tighter is better, it’s not.

Don’t use Teflon on flare fittings.

Check all connections for tightness and being leak free. Twice.

Seems like you would have a secondary regulator other than the one at the tank.

What's your OUTLET (or 'manifold') pressure? 10.2 isn't very bad, it still ought to work.
You did remove and clear the burner orifice right?

At 10.2 inlet it should be working, that's close enough. it doesn't seem like a gas pressure issue to me. Did you try to test the outlet pressure while turning the burner on? That's when you're going to see if it's getting gas or not.
What was the thermocouple reading? If it was above 15mv then it's either a clogged orifice or a bad valve.
We work on gas fireplaces all the time here in Maryland this time of year. They are really pretty simple until you get into the higher end electronic ignition models -

Ok thanks. As an FYI isn't it bizarre the gas can satisfy all my stove burners as attached. Tricky one. I'll likely get my plumber to do the regulator stuff.

Attachments

• VID_20211202_070059247.mp4
    12.6 MB
What's your OUTLET (or 'manifold') pressure? 10.2 isn't very bad, it still ought to work.
You did remove and clear the burner orifice right?
Thanks. Yes I cleaned out that orifice and Every single tube. Tightened every fitting

At 10.2 inlet it should be working, that's close enough. it doesn't seem like a gas pressure issue to me. Did you try to test the outlet pressure while turning the burner on? That's when you're going to see if it's getting gas or not.
What was the thermocouple reading? If it was above 15mv then it's either a clogged orifice or a bad valve.
We work on gas fireplaces all the time here in Maryland this time of year. They are really pretty simple until you get into the higher end electronic ignition models -
I'm a DIYer who knows nothing about the voltage side of things. I did however replace the thermocouple assembly with a new one but same issue. Pilot lights but burner won't flame up. Thanks. I'm just afraid of buying another fireplace and it not working.

Propane Technician came and checked the regulator hardware and boosted the gas inlet pressure to 11.25WC from 10.2WC at the gas fireplace inlet port. Fireplace still doesn't flame up so it must be a crappy valve coincidentally breaking the day the gas stove was installed. Go figure. Anyway. The End.
Anyone know where to get a budget refurb replacement valve or refurb gas fireplace Ma direction that I can switch this out with easily?
Thanks all for your help.

Does your fireplace have both a thermocuple and thermopile ? If your pilot light is working, its not the thermocuple.

Does your fireplace have both a thermocuple and thermopile ? If your pilot light is working, its not the thermocuple.
It only has a thermocouple according to the manufacturer support guy. Thanks

So for people following this the fix was a replacement Maxitrol Wiring Harness. Fire works fine now. I hope it helps others!

Back