Garbage disposal overheats when using dishwasher

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know in my state, electrical issues constitute immediate action items and potential civil action against the landlord. As said before, it is best to check with an attorney or Google your specific state's Residential and Landlord rights.
Well, yesterday I went to the management office and damn near blew a gasket (plumbing pun intended). That got some attention. The 2nd appliance repairman is coming back after telling management he did not check out the DW electrics on the first visit. The reason is beyond me, but when he was here the first time, he very graciously explained to me how the DW and disposal were not connected in any way, other than draining through the same drain. Obviously, he was dubious that what I said was happening could happen. Of course, he never stayed for the cycle to shut down and feel the disposal casing when it tripped the reset button. If it turns out it's NOT in the DW electrics, THEN management will get a licensed electrician up as their next move. Regarding all the electrical info in the previous responses, would that be a building-wide problem or just with my kitchen island, if anyone can answer that? Thanks.

It is possible either way. Their electrical contractor may have gone cheap in your unit only, or cheapened the entire job. Only way is to ask your neighbors.

Well, yesterday I went to the management office and damn near blew a gasket (plumbing pun intended). That got some attention. The 2nd appliance repairman is coming back after telling management he did not check out the DW electrics on the first visit. The reason is beyond me, but when he was here the first time, he very graciously explained to me how the DW and disposal were not connected in any way, other than draining through the same drain. Obviously, he was dubious that what I said was happening could happen. Of course, he never stayed for the cycle to shut down and feel the disposal casing when it tripped the reset button. If it turns out it's NOT in the DW electrics, THEN management will get a licensed electrician up as their next move. Regarding all the electrical info in the previous responses, would that be a building-wide problem or just with my kitchen island, if anyone can answer that? Thanks.
For this to happen, there has to be something mis wired, or some strange unique situation with your kitchen wiring. So, even if your neighbors don't have the same issue, and even if the electrician used a common neutral over the entire complex, there is NO WAY the garbage disposal should have electricity going to it during a dishwasher cycle. And the only way the disposal motor could overheat and pop the thermal protection switch would be that electricity is going to disposal. The thermal overloads for a motor are well over the boiling point of water, so running hot water through the disposal will NOT trip the thermal overload on the motor.

Stick to your guns Sim's Girl. and keep us posted.

Everybody...the appliance tech came today. Hadn't let THIS one in the door before, losing count, but management insisted, before they'd take my word for it and get the electrician up here! And guess what! "Hot ground wire" in the outlet that the dishwasher and disposal share! :eek: He reported back to the office to "strongly" suggest they get a licensed electrician up here, and have the other units checked as well. Oh boy, do I thank ALL of you for your input! Stay tuned my friends, and HIGH FIVES to all of you! :)

Update: A few things I have learned: please bear with me if you've already told me this would have to be the case: 1. I am almost certain my one under sink outlet that the disposal and dishwasher plug into is a split outlet. One tab is missing. Will try to attach a few photos at the end of this. 2. I have one 20-amp breaker in my box labeled disposal. No breaker labeled dishwasher. 3. Since it's multi-unit residential here, there is no main switch in my breaker box, like I had in my home, where I could shut all power off. 4. My outlets on the outside of my island check out fine, and I have a separate breaker marked kitchen island. Don't know if any or all of this is helpful.

Attachments

• Bottom of shared outlet.jpg
    Bottom of shared outlet.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Top of shared outlet.jpg
    Top of shared outlet.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Uncovered outlet1.jpg
    Uncovered outlet1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • Uncovered outlet2.jpg
    Uncovered outlet2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Yep, it appears that that outlet is fed by two different breakers, and that they are using a common neutral (the tab that is not broken off. The garbage disposal has a large "in rush" of current, so it is best to have it on its own breaker. The dishwasher is much milder on electrical "in rush", so it may be on the same circuit of other outlets, but probably not in the kitchen. But who knows based on your experience.

It looks like the top outlet has a larger wire than the bottom one, so probably (?) The top is for the disposal and the bottom is for the dishwasher. how did they used to be plugged in? Can’t really see the lights very well on that tester.

It looks like the top outlet has a larger wire than the bottom one, so probably (?) The top is for the disposal and the bottom is for the dishwasher. how did they used to be plugged in? Can’t really see the lights very well on that tester.
That's a wonderful question. I cannot remember which plug was plugged into which outlet. There's been so many people up here, plugging and unplugging while checking things out. It is beyond me why they would not label which outlet is for which appliance! What happens if the wrong appliance is plugged into the wrong outlet, if anything? This very short video of top outlet may help. Light on far left flickered when plugged in. You can clearly see the other two lights. Shoot, it didn't play for me after I sent it. Not sure how to send it so it will play.

Attachments

• Top outlet video.MOV
    1.9 MB
Your video plays, but yeah, at the very least loose neutral, don't use either of those until you get an electrician to fix it right.

Plugging the disposal (higher-current appliance) into the 'dishwasher and other things' outlet will either trip the breaker or (given the state of your wiring) cause other issues, up to and including fires (see loose wiring above), so don't do that.

Plugging your dishwasher into the disposal outlet should work OK, if the wiring was right, which (see above) it isn't.

But yeah, get the electrician who sorts out your wiring to label them, and label the breakers for which breaker goes to what circuit as well.

Your video plays, but yeah, at the very least loose neutral, don't use either of those until you get an electrician to fix it right.

Plugging the disposal (higher-current appliance) into the 'dishwasher and other things' outlet will either trip the breaker or (given the state of your wiring) cause other issues, up to and including fires (see loose wiring above), so don't do that.

Plugging your dishwasher into the disposal outlet should work OK, if the wiring was right, which (see above) it isn't.

But yeah, get the electrician who sorts out your wiring to label them, and label the breakers for which breaker goes to what circuit as well.
Only one breaker for that outlet, labeled disposal. It shuts down the whole outlet or is supposed to. No separate dishwasher breaker. My neighbor down the hall had an incident after doing dishes. Her right hand was still wet and resting on the corner of her stainless-steel sink. She reached down under the sink to switch on her disposal, using her dry left hand. The switch is on a metal box. She got a buzz that scared her, and she grabbed her hand back. This scared me when I learned of it yesterday.

Gosh, you have a confusing mess there. If there is only one breaker for that outlet, then it is being fed by two different wires, which would be strange if they are on the same breaker. Check both plugs on this duplex with your circuit checker to verify that there is power. Turn off the "disposal" breaker to see if the power is disrupted to both or just one of the plugs. Assuming only one plug has no power with the "disposal" breaker off, clearly mark it as the disposal outlet. If both have no power, then as I said, you have a strange issue as power is being fed to that duplex through two separate wires.

And your neighbor's issue is also very concerning. It appears as though the metal box she touched was not properly grounded. I'd continue to request an electrician to review ALL aspects of your wiring, and clearly mark each breaker for what it is for.

Gosh, you have a confusing mess there. If there is only one breaker for that outlet, then it is being fed by two different wires, which would be strange if they are on the same breaker. Check both plugs on this duplex with your circuit checker to verify that there is power. Turn off the "disposal" breaker to see if the power is disrupted to both or just one of the plugs. Assuming only one plug has no power with the "disposal" breaker off, clearly mark it as the disposal outlet. If both have no power, then as I said, you have a strange issue as power is being fed to that duplex through two separate wires.

And your neighbor's issue is also very concerning. It appears as though the metal box she touched was not properly grounded. I'd continue to request an electrician to review ALL aspects of your wiring, and clearly mark each breaker for what it is for.
With the breaker OFF, I tried a little lamp in both outlets, and it wouldn't turn on. The lamp works fine tested in another outlet. Is it safe to turn the breaker on and test the lamp, or no?

How old is this house? Not only do you have a claim against the builder, but I would say you have a claim against the inspector, because it’s not just “not right”, it’s actively dangerous.

Latest posts

Back