Garbage disposal overheats when using dishwasher

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I take it "Disp" is the Disposal breaker? Can you read any of the part numbers off it?
Yes, it's the only breaker that controls the under-sink cabinet outlet for both appliances. I will look tomorrow for part numbers. Are the numbers located on the breaker itself?

So with the “Disposal” breaker off neither the disposal nor the dishwasher outlets work? Can you post a picture of the breaker?

It _looked_ like the two hot wires were different sizes but that kind of circuit should be wired with 4-wire cable (two hot, neutral, ground). 🤷‍♂️
One half of the duplex outlet is switched, so it’s hot wire is coming from the switch most likely.

Yes, it's the only breaker that controls the under-sink cabinet outlet for both appliances. I will look tomorrow for part numbers. Are the numbers located on the breaker itself?
Here's what's on the actual breaker, and OMG it was hard to read! Type BR 120, 120/240 Volts, CULAI SWD, HACR Type, 1 pole J969, E7819-T, LR43556 Disj, UL Listed. Is this what you wanted?

Here's what's on the actual breaker, and OMG it was hard to read! Type BR 120, 120/240 Volts, CULAI SWD, HACR Type, 1 pole J969, E7819-T, LR43556 Disj, UL Listed. Is this what you wanted?
Yes, single pole is the important part, it means there are _not_ two separate circuits with a common neutral as we suspected before, but a single circuit for both the disposal (through a switch) and dishwasher.

Just to confirm, neither the dishwasher nor the disposal (when switched on) run when that one breaker is off but all other breakers are on, yes?

I'm scratching my head, I suppose an open neutral could have sent all the dishwasher's return current through the disposal's housing through the ground connection, causing it to heat up...

Yes, single pole is the important part, it means there are _not_ two separate circuits with a common neutral as we suspected before, but a single circuit for both the disposal (through a switch) and dishwasher.

Just to confirm, neither the dishwasher nor the disposal (when switched on) run when that one breaker is off but all other breakers are on, yes?

I'm scratching my head, I suppose an open neutral could have sent all the dishwasher's return current through the disposal's housing through the ground connection, causing it to heat up...
WPNS wrote: "Just to confirm, neither the dishwasher nor the disposal (when switched on) run when that one breaker is off but all other breakers are on, yes?" Yes/correct. I just confirmed that again. That is since the fix. Cannot recall without rereading everything prior to the fix how it was. So, did the electrician have to rewire/fix the outlet, or the disposal switch box, or both? That is unclear to me, from what little he wrote. He was checking several things. So he was under the sink as well as at the breaker box. I'm going to try to get his email and invoice that he sent to the office, afterwards, which MAY have more detail. I don't know. They will certainly NOT offer this to me. Well, I will try for that on Monday.

Back