Garbage disposal outlet height

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taylor164

Reaction score
Hello!

I’m in the process of picking a new kitchen sink for my DIY kitchen renovation, and my understanding is that the depth of the kitchen sink will be limited by the height of my garbage disposal outlet relative to the existing drain line in the wall.

My question that I’m struggling to find an answer to: is there a minimum distance that the bottom surface of the disposal outlet pipe needs to be above the bottom surface of the drain pipe on the other side of the P-Trap?

The sink that I’m interested in will result in the bottom surface of the disposal outlet being about 1 to 1.5 inches above the bottom surface of the drain pipe on the other side of P-trap. Will this be enough to prevent standing water in the disposal, or will I need to select a shallower sink in order to raise the disposal outlet?

Thanks in advance!

Is this a single bowl sink or does this disposal have a dedicated p-trap ?

What size pipe coming out of wall ? What type pipe is it ? You could take a pic.....

I personally wouldn’t advise it. It’s just too close for me.

Last edited:
Here is a pic - it is 2 inch copper pipe. A few more details: The distance from the top surface of this pipe to bottom surface of countertop is 17 inches.
my disposal is the in sinkerator badger 900 and sink is Elkay EFRU191610T. (10 inch depth)

AA8A931E-F7D0-4E24-9364-9F188456266B.jpeg

Looks like the copper drain arm is pitched the wrong way. Put a level on top of the pipe. The bubble of the level should move to your left if it’s pitched properly.

I’m going to say no to using a disposal from what I see and what you’ve told me unless things are corrected.

Definitely looks like the copper drain runs uphill.

You might be able to cut off the copper on the far end, outside that cabinet, leaving a short stub, and replace it with pvc at a proper slope.
Connect together with a shielded coupling.

You will have to raise the cutout in the back and side of this cabinet.

Different brands and models of disposers have the drain outlet at varying heights.
Do some research and find one that works for you.

Or hire a pro to do all this.

Or the drain will clog with sludge.

I think the sloppy cut in the cabinet / angle this pic was taken is making it look like the pipe is running uphill. I put a level on the pipe and it is actually sloped in the correct direction

would either of you have a target for how much higher the disposal outlet should be above the drain arm?

I’m going to research a new disposal and shallower sink to see how close I can get to the ideal position

4” above works. This allows you to use the 90 supplied with most disposals to turn into the trap.

when i would rough in a kitchen drain pipe , i would always make it so that the pipe was 13 inches above the floor. this way you are covered if it was double sink with a garburator and dish washer.

Latest posts

Back