Garbage Disposal Back Up

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mms2022

Reaction score
I have a garbage disposal that has stopped working, despite resetting the disposal and the electrical panel. I can live without the disposal, but a few weeks after it stopped working my sink started backing up. I have checked both the pipes coming from the disposal and the disposal itself, and I don't have anything clogging the pipes. My questions are the following: (1) is this a problem due to the disposal that will solve itself by replacing the disposal, (2) if it is why did it take a few weeks to start backing up, or (3) is this indicating a bigger drainage problem?
Thank you for any advice!

The disposal is most likely the problem.

The disposal acts as a strainer and clogs up if it’s not able to be turned on and washed out.

We got stopped using a garbage guts when we moved houses in 2007. In the 70s-80s it seemed like they worked fine - then as the years rolled by and unit's HP was increased, they clogged up the lines more and more. We do not miss it at all.

Latest posts

Back