Galvanized Pipes Mixed With Copper Pipes?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowrey83

Reaction score
I'm definitely a novice when it comes to things like this so please bear with me. We bought our 1956 slab on grade home 2 years ago. From doing some remodeling I've noticed that in at least 3 spots in the house (washer, shower, outside spigot) has copper water pipe coming up through the slab and supplying water. However when opening some small spots in our drywall I've also noticed that in the wall sections I will sometimes find sections of galvanized piping used to provide water (hot and cold on sinks etc) but I've of course never seen the galvanized piping coming out of the slab. Was it normal to sometimes use galvanized pipes for certain sections when what I'm assuming (based on seeing the copper coming in out of the slab on 2-3 occasion) is copper that is ran under the slab?

I have never seen screw pipe in the slab. most places, any joints are illegal nder the slab.

in my opinion, repipe the house, abandon the old gal. pipe.

it will get pin holes an leak. surprised it is not already

you can ck and see if it is. turn off everything in the house...look at our meter,,,it has a little red diamond wheel..see if it moves

if it does, your using water

Thanks for the reply. What do you mean by "screw pipe"

screw pipe...means any threaded pipe. like galvinised, or black steal.

i realised your post said NO galvinised pipe under the slab,,and deleted my answer....looks like you were quicker than me...cause you saw it

it was only up for 3 seconds.. :D

screw pipe...means any threaded pipe. like galvinised, or black steal.

i realised your post said NO galvinised pipe under the slab,,and deleted my answer....looks like you were quicker than me...cause you saw it

it was only up for 3 seconds.. :D

Haha no problem man, I appreciate the help. I know this is a stupid question but it's a safe bet to say that if I'm seeing spots where copper is coming up from the slab that it means the entire home is copper under the slab right?

Ok thanks, yeah the only copper I've seen so far have been for example, 2 separate lines coming up from the slab providing hot and cold for the clothes washer, 2 separate lines coming up from the slab for the hot/cold on the bath (then using a connector extended up to the shower head) and 1 single line coming up from the slab for an outside water spigot. I guess I haven't ran across the main manifold yet then.

I guess that kind of brings me back to what I was wondering. If the house is copper under the slab, why wouldn't they have just done copper in some of the walls instead of using galvanized?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back