Galvanized Pipe Leak inside house

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henryd

Reaction score
PipeLeak.JPG There is old galvanized water line coming from the street curb to inside the house to the water meter. The inside portion sprung a leak and is spraying water. Plumber wants $2200 to replace the entire line from the curb to the meter inside. I am thinking there is a way to patch that portion of the leaking part only. I realize replacing is the best approach, but to save money, what is the alternate solution? Seems like there should be methods to fix/replace just the portion of the leak, or plug it with putty and clamp or ? Thanks in advance!

If it is, you can use a 3/4" dresser coupling. Turn off water at street, cut pipe at hole and install coupling. Restrain pipe on either side of coupling when finished. Buys you some time.

images

On second look there has to be a 90 at the wall, you cant bend galvy that tight. take off insulation and see if it is a 90. If so replace that section up to meter.

Thank you. I was told it was galvanized. Out of town owner of this rental. Hopefully I can save some good $$$$ in the interim doing it this way.

I totally agree with bbp. Those Dresser type couplings work pretty good. Used one on my buried water service many years ago.

My first thought was a repair clamp, where you can try it without shutting the water or cutting the pipe. I have no experience with them but it's cheap and easy if it works.
Similar to this...
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-Streamline-3-4-in-Galvanized-Repair-Clamp-160-804/100197583

Replacing that section of pipe from the elbow up, is something a plumber could do for a reasonable price, I would hope. Although there may be some concern for breaking something at the wall. That will complicate it.

Latest posts

Back