Galvanic Corrosion on Water Line?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenRiverFish

Reaction score
Hi folks, got this leak in my water line (after the meter). The nipples are copper and the ball valve brass(I think). I'm 100% new to any plumbing projects but I like to get my hands dirty. I don't wanna pay $1600 quote I got from a local plumbing company and don't wanna ask the girlfriend's Dad to fix it...y'all are my last chance at fixing this solo*** ;) 🙏IMG_5745.jpg
the leak appears to be pinholes coming right through the ball valve circled in red. My neighbor says I should be concerned about Galvanic corrosion because I have copper pipe between the brass(?) ball valve and metal meter on the bottom of the pic... I appreciate any suggestions.

Disconnect at a union then unscrew everything and replace the valve.

Don’t worry about corrosion, it’s just a cheap valve leaking.......

Buy a quality bronze valve with a stainless handle. Get back to watching football.

Hi folks, got this leak in my water line (after the meter). The nipples are copper and the ball valve brass(I think). I'm 100% new to any plumbing projects but I like to get my hands dirty. I don't wanna pay $1600 quote I got from a local plumbing company and don't wanna ask the girlfriend's Dad to fix it...y'all are my last chance at fixing this solo*** ;) 🙏View attachment 31784
the leak appears to be pinholes coming right through the ball valve circled in red. My neighbor says I should be concerned about Galvanic corrosion because I have copper pipe between the brass(?) ball valve and metal meter on the bottom of the pic... I appreciate any suggestions.
"Bend the knee" and get her dad to fix it!

Back