Funny Plumbing Stories

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Leadman/ Pipelayer that works for me and we have an agreement that if anything goes wrong or I screw something up and the customer is near it is always his fault and he will take the blame. thankfully it has never happened but just incase.

I always go the exact opposite I take blame and correct, or I refuse to acknowledge it was an error instead going for the "I intentionally messed that up." BS. Turn out that will get me out of trouble faster than anything.

Got a call to a bank in the city. No hot water. 20 gallon tank was 21 years old. Manager says "Y'know, I've worked here for 21 years and the first month that I worked here, we had that kitchenette put in and it has NEVER had hot water. We've called electricians and plumbers and nobody can figure it out over the years. We just use cold water and deal with it. Now the bank says we can get a new one. What do you think?"
I looked at it. Saw the switch next to it was off. Flicked it on. Would you believe it fired up. Nobody ever hit the switch. That was last year and it is still working fine.

That is impressively stupid.

I need to start banking photos of some of the stuff I see. Repipe of a house where all of the sinks and tubs were run with pool hoses. From the second floor to the lower basement with the exception of the two toilets. Rubber couplings and electrical tape to connect them together an to the old, leaking cast stack. And the house was just inspected for sale. The home inspector was recommended by the seller, so no surprise that he passed it.

I need to start banking photos of some of the stuff I see. Repipe of a house where all of the sinks and tubs were run with pool hoses. From the second floor to the lower basement with the exception of the two toilets. Rubber couplings and electrical tape to connect them together an to the old, leaking cast stack. And the house was just inspected for sale. The home inspector was recommended by the seller, so no surprise that he passed it.

Is that legal?

The town was just outside of Allegheny County where even the IPC is rarely enforced or seen. It is up to local code enforcers to pick these things up, but usually they don't care in the small towns. My real estate agent friend told me that it is not illegal for the seller or their agent to recommend an inspector, but risks crossing ethical lines and may open the door to future law suits, so most don't do it.
Now, how about another funny story:D

Got a call to a bank in the city. No hot water. 20 gallon tank was 21 years old. Manager says "Y'know, I've worked here for 21 years and the first month that I worked here, we had that kitchenette put in and it has NEVER had hot water. We've called electricians and plumbers and nobody can figure it out over the years. We just use cold water and deal with it. Now the bank says we can get a new one. What do you think?"
I looked at it. Saw the switch next to it was off. Flicked it on. Would you believe it fired up. Nobody ever hit the switch. That was last year and it is still working fine.

Almost the same story,but yours was better.
Another company installed a little 6gal electric water heater but it would not heat up.
We did warranty work and I just flipped on the switch on the side of the heater.

Had another warranty call for a new 100 gal commercil WH.
Flames where rolling out the bottom and burned up all the wire to the Gas valve.
They installed the draft hood directly on top of the heater without the legs and then set the automatic flue damper on top.
WH couldn't draft. No warranty for that mess

About 20 yrs. ago I built my first house, and put the plumbing out for bid with a full set of plans to three firms. The lowest bidder had worked for the framing contractor on several jobs, so we went with him. He ran the sewer lines, then said to let him know when the first floor framing was done, so we did. He arrived on the job and said, "S***, why didn't you tell me the gas pipes needed to go under the slab? Now I have to run the gas pipes in the framing." And it was a ***** of a job, with lots of corners, doorways to go over, stairwells to avoid, etc. I said to him, that is why I gave you a set of plans...

And boy did he ever get even. The copper hot water recirc lines started leaking from pinhole leaks inside the wall 3 yrs after we moved in due to using the cheapest thinnest tubing available; the downstairs toilet flange was mislocated, so he put in an adapter to move it over 6 inches that does nothing but clog; the upstairs shower valve had hot and cold reversed; he used 1/2" tubing for the hot and cold supply lines to the Jacuzzi tub, so it takes 30 mins. to fill; then he took off to go fishing in Alaska before the finish plumbing even started.

Last edited:
About 20 yrs. ago I built my first house, and put the plumbing out for bid with a full set of plans to three firms. The lowest bidder had worked for the framing contractor on several jobs, so we went with him. He ran the sewer lines, then said to let him know when the first floor framing was done, so we did. He arrived on the job and said, "S***, why didn't you tell me the gas pipes needed to go under the slab? Now I have to run the gas pipes in the framing." And it was a ***** of a job, with lots of corners, doorways to go over, stairwells to avoid, etc. I said to him, that is why I gave you a set of plans...

And boy did he ever get even. The copper hot water recirc lines started leaking from pinhole leaks inside the wall 3 yrs after we moved in due to using the cheapest thinnest tubing available; the downstairs toilet flange was mislocated, so he put in an adapter to move it over 6 inches that does nothing but clog; the upstairs shower valve had hot and cold reversed; he used 1/2" tubing for the hot and cold supply lines to the Jacuzzi tub, so it takes 30 mins. to fill; then he took off to go fishing in Alaska before the finish plumbing even started.

That's terrible, sorry to hear it.

Come on you web experts....we need more great stories!

I have one dumb story. I was doing some work at a doctor's ranch, where I was installing a small electric fence in an area to keep his dogs away from some nice bushes. I drove my last steel fence post to finish up the job, and punctured the 3" main water line leading to many out buildings and it also supplied water to all his horses. I created a 30' stream of water, and then found out he failed to install a shut off valve. I spend 3 days repairing the damage and added a valve just in case this was to happen again. The doctor then gave me $35 for the original job, and said the water line was my problem, and wasn't going to pay for the costs of the repair and the new shut off valves. I swallowed my pride and took his money, and never returned to help him, even though he calls me quite often for help and advice.

Last edited:
A story told to me by my late departed Foreman.
They were making a repair on a 2" copper hot water line below a concrete slab.
They had stuffed a purple rag into one end of the pipe while they were working on the other end. This was a very large multi-unit complex. Well ,They forgot to take out the rag before they reconnected it. When they turned on the water the rag disintegrated and made it's way into several branch lines. Not causing any immediate problems. a couple months passes and they got a call that a section of the building did not have any hot water. They ended up cutting apart a manifold in the wall where a 1" branch line came up, split into several lines and then went back into the slab. They pulled out peices of that purple rag. I think he told me they had this same problem occurred several times at different location for a couple years.

I almost did the same thing on a 3" PVC water system. I was gluing up a 2" branch when I looked around and relized that the white terry cloth rag I was using was missing.:eek: I used a hand snake and retrieved the rag I had stuffed into the 3"

This one came to mind today when a customer asked me if I wanted some bread to stuff into a pipe because I was having a little trouble with some water flow while I was trying to rework some copper water lines.
^ wow that was a mouth full ^

The first time I ever used that trick I was under a house. Another plumber told me to just stuff a little white bread into the pipe.
Solder it up and the bread will come out when you you turn the water back on.
It didn't come out. I had to go back under the house, cut my repair apart, dig out the bread and redo it.
I haven't really had a need to use that old trick in many years.

On the same note:
I was changing a hose bib on the side of a multi-story/multi-unit bldg and the water just would not stop coming.
Bread! I need some Bread!.
I went dumpster diving and found some tortillas. Oh Yeah.
Last call on Friday, Time to go home.

Had a Dork helper who kept showing off his volunteer firemans badge.
Had him fit up two 1/2" copper 90's for me in a wall and told him I will come solder them.
Few minutes late I hear " Oh David ! I have a fire in the wall! I'm not kidding I have a fire!"
So I go look and he's slapping at the flames that are rolling out of the wall.

He caught the paper of the wall insulation on fire. I reached up into the wall and grabbed a hold of the insulation , pulled it out and threw it out the door near by.
Then told him, "That's why I told you not to solder and you can take that %*#@ing Badge you keep flashing and go throw it in the trash."

What a dumb ^ss.

Did you fire him? LOL.

I didn't tell my employer.
He has only fired 1 or 2 guys in the 22 yrs I've worked for him. I doesn't like to fire anyone, but he'll make life so miserable that they just up and quite on their own. I guess I'm glutten for misery, I'm still working for him.

Back