Frustrating leaking from water line connections

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mythicalbrewer

Reaction score
So I’m trying my hand at plumbing for the first time. I opened up the wall and raised the sink drain about 8 inches to accommodate a new vanity, cut the water supply cpvc lines to fit under vanity (they come out of the floor) and installed a 1/2inch male threaded piece.

From there I have a braided water line (had to use something flexible to get around some shelving) that is 1/2inch FIP to 3/8inch compression that is attached to a ball valve switch. Because I was not thinking, I did install the valve “backwards” due to the braided lines I had purchased. The water is totally fine up to the point of the valve.

Connected on the otherside of the valve is another braided line 1/2inch FIP to 1/2inch FIP that is then connected to the faucet. I can not get that second run of braided line to not leak. I’ve used PFTE tape on all threading but it still sprays out right at the connection to the valve.

So I guess my questions are as follows:
1. Does the valve being backwards matter? I’ve heard ball valves can be installed either way
2. Am I using the wrong equipment?
3. Any solutions to this problem?

image.jpgimage.jpg

Flex supplies do not need teflon tape.

The seal is made by the rubber ring in the nut on the flex, squishing against the flat rim of the end of the valve.

Just like a garden hose on a hose bibb.

The threads only provide mechanical force to draw and hold the parts together.

Maybe you are mixing up compression fittings with iron pipe fittings?
Their thread sizes are different.

The seal is made by the rubber ring in the nut on the flex, squishing against the flat rim of the end of the valve.

Ah. So this valve is meant for compression fitting to a copper pipe it looks like? So I can’t connect 2 supply lines with this valve?

Attachments

• B4708A66-6573-4ADC-A642-54B3032A2BDF.jpeg
    B4708A66-6573-4ADC-A642-54B3032A2BDF.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4

Thanks Jeff for pointing out the difference between the compression fittings and the pipe fittings! I went and got a different valve that had two 3/8“ compression fittings and the braided supply valves fit much more snugly and there is no leaking at all!

Latest posts

Back