Frustrating Leak from The Toilet Tank

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldmanMike

Reaction score
OK. Looking for Help. I have moderate experience with replacing toilets and bowls and have replaced & repaired many in my house. Usually no problem. I have a toilet where there is a leak from the toilet tank into the bowl I cannot seem to fix. I replaced the entire flush valve assy (fill tube, flush valve & flapper) as a new assembly. The leak is still there. I replaced the flapper again & this time put a seal around it as I thought this is where the leak was coming from. There is still a slow leak from the tank to the bowl. I also replaced the outer flange from the tank to the bowl. Leak is still there. There is no water coming out anywhere else (leaking to the floor or out of the tank) so I know it's not that. I lose about a tank of water every 12 hours or so. I hate to think I need to swap out the whole toilet just for this but I just can't figure it out. Is it possible I don't have the tank bolted down hard enough to the bowl? I only know of one way water can get from the tank to the bowl but maybe there is something I'm missing. I would appreciate any insight anybody has.

OldmanMike...When you say, "lose about a tank of water every 12 hours or so", may I assume you had shut the water off to make this observation? (Just trying to eliminate the possibility of the valve slowly leaking into the overflow tube without being detected.)

frodo...Do you think a leak at those tank bolts could find its way into the bowl? I really don't know.

OldmanMike...When you say, "lose about a tank of water every 12 hours or so", may I assume you had shut the water off to make this observation? (Just trying to eliminate the possibility of the valve slowly leaking into the overflow tube without being detected.)

frodo...Do you think a leak at those tank bolts could find its way into the bowl? I really don't know.
Yep. Turned the water off after each repair. I am truly baffled by this.

hell no, that was the scotch talking

Latest posts

Back