Friction Loss in Burried Galvanized Line

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csludtke

Reaction score
I have a buried 1 inch galvanized well line that is around 150 ft long.

I recently replaced the pump and all of the plumbing in the well house. I have the cut-out set at 80 psi.

The friction loss in the line is significant. I am getting very low flow in the house. The house is about 30 ft higher than the well.

Is there any way to clean out the line? I am getting less flow with my new pump.

My pressure tank is curerntly in the well house. I am thinking about adding pressurized storage to the house. How much longer do I have until the well line is completely restricted?

How long has the line been in the ground? I'd pull it up and replace with a more suitable, non-rusting pipe.

^What he said.

Especially after a long period of time, steel pipe, even galvanized, will experience significant buildup inside the pipe.

150' of 1" PVC will not cost that much, even with the required fittings. The hard part will be the digging.

Trust me it is worth every penny to rent a piece of equipment. A mini excavator will have that job done in no time and is usually less then $200 for the day.

I just replaced 100' of 1" poly pipe that was 10 years old and it was down to 3/8 hole through it.
It was almost completely stopped up with iron buildup.
I don't think it makes too much of a deferents what pipe is used, if the water is full of minerals.
The poly will naturally be less restrictive at first, but build-up can still occur.

I have owned the house for 6 years. The pump I replaced was installed in 1987. I believe that the house it services was built in 1970 or so. So, I would guess that the line is 40 years old.

It sounds as if I need to replace the line. I plan on using 1-1/4 poly water line (the blue stuff). I will need to contract the ditch, we live in the Rocky Mountains and I will more than likely have to dig a new trench due to trees that I would like to save. I am worried that I will run into rock and have to talk to the boys with dynamite or some kind of explosives.

Wow, you mentioned blowing up stuff and now you've really peaked my interest. I would love to see some pictures of the process!

One possible workaround is running a lot of air and water together through the pipe discharging onto the ground naturally, not into the house, cause it's going to get messy. You won't totally clean the pipe, but it will usually make a significant difference in your pressure.

I do agree that replacing it would be the best solution.

Wow, you mentioned blowing up stuff and now you've really peaked my interest. I would love to see some pictures of the process!

We do that here in Murrieta in the La Cresta area. They drill into the rock and place explosives, you barely hear it and it just kinda pops the ground up a little but destroys the rock below so you can dig through it.

Next time i have a job that blasts I will invite you down. Although the last one was a few years ago. Go talk someone into a water line in the hills.

Latest posts

Back