Frequent toilet not emptying bowl/ almost over flow

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liberty

Reaction score
New member here with a situation I am hoping for pointers to resolve my problem.

I have lived here for twenty years, 50's low bidder built ranch house, slab floor.
Until past year or so the hall toilet would nearly overflow after a flush only a couple times a year with daily use.

Now several times a week it is doing same.
If left alone for hour+ level has returned to normal and a flush is fine.
During a trouble episode I can put about 4-5 gallons in tub and pull plug which results in water level rising in toilet and substantial gurgling and bubbling in toilet.
Once tub quickly drains, it will pull most of water out of toilet.

Sometimes I can flush immediately after above procedure and it will flush normally while other times will rise high and take a long while to return to normal.

There is a cleanout directly behind toilet outside and I have rented a snake twice and never encountered anything.

I tried to snake the vent but it must tee or something as I hit something hard about 3-4' below roof.
I had a hose up there and ran a bunch of water down it.

Lately we have made a habit to flush toilet before setting down and prior to flushing to open faucet in sink as flushing.
Seems to make no difference.
Been very frugal with 'the paperwork'
Nothing seems to make a difference

Master toilet has never had a problem
Hall toilet tees into the straight shot from master to exit

Will be immensely grateful for any ideas out there on where the problem might be lurking.

have you tried a toilet auger????? the correct way to test a problematic toilet is with toilet paper....after hopefully clearing the toilet always test 5 flushes with toilet paper

have you tried a toilet auger????? the correct way to test a problematic toilet is with toilet paper....after hopefully clearing the toilet always test 5 flushes with toilet paper
What is a toilet auger?
How is it different than snaking the drain from behind toilet to the exit?

Thanks but that doesn't address the gurgling when the tub drains which seems like it is a clue

then it sounds like its more than your toilet,so if you are familiar with using a snake remove the water from the toilet bowl and tank...remove the toilet and snake from you toilet flange

Sounds like something longer than a typical toilet auger may be required.
Also, if tub drain is drawing toilet trap, may be a venting issue.

Sounds like something longer than a typical toilet auger may be required.
Also, if tub drain is drawing toilet trap, may be a venting issue.
That is kinda what I am thinking but don't know how to diagnose.
I can't snake it and have run a bunch of water down from roof
And it is intermittent

Solved
My new hero, a plumber, came by and ran a camera into line.

Roots

In the process of digging up the section with the flaw

Thanks everyone...

Back