FOUND WELL ON PROPERTY

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vern_Bastin

Reaction score
I have lived in my house for 20 years. Property used to be an older homestead farm. Found a sink hole in my side yard and started digging. Found Black iron pipe goiing straight down into the ground with a elbow on the top of it going towards the house. Search Ohio Dept of Natural Resources site and found well coordinates. Well was drilled in 1960 and is 70’ Deep. How do I inspect and attach a pump to this pipe. No idea how far the pipe goes towards my house. Definitly doesn’t come into the house. the old farm house has been gone for years Prior to my home being built. 3A58805C-0E85-4C85-B607-3F0DAA020E11.jpeg

The old steel pipe is probably shot.
Valveman is probably the member who can advise you.
A few others on here have experience with wells also.

Got some more digging to do. Can't see what it is yet. You will need to extend the casing above grade about 18" and install a pitless adapter below the frost line. I would put a temporary extension on it for now, and see if the well is any good. If it is still close to 70' and has any water in it, it is worth sticking a pump in there and see how it goes. If it doesn't make a good well that you can complete with a proper seal, it needs to be properly plugged. They have a report of the well being drilled, they will want a plug report if it is not a usable well.

Back