Foul smelling air coming from shower drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bepis

Reaction score
Hello,
for the past few days I've been able to feel and smell air/gas rushing out from my shower drain. I'm wondering what this could potentially be, and what I could do to fix it. The drain isn't clogged and I haven't had any other issues with the shower. I live in an apartment so I don't have access to any of the pipes, and I don't have any information on how the plumbing works here. I tried requesting repairs through my housing provider, but they said the problem wasn't urgent enough to address during the lockdown. I'm also wondering if the gas coming from the shower drain could potentially be harmful, and if it's something I should try to take care of quickly.

Thank you for your time.

It is hard to say because you are in a multi unit building. Is there any work being done in the other units? Usually a down draft or air blowing into vents can cause this .In the meantime you could put a rubber mat over drain and hold it down with weight or run water frequently to keep trap under drain full. Not sure if pouring down baking soda or something else could help as I don't do indoor plumbing. If it gets cold there and you keep windows closed with heat on you can notice it more .You could get ill from the methane gas if it gets bad enough.

Thanks for your response. I don't think there's any work being done in the other units. I tried putting something over my drain and that helped a lot. I managed to get an appointment with a plumber, so hopefully that will take care of the issue.

Sounds like something with the DWV systems venting such that your shower trap is being sucked dry.
It’s more than just an annoyance it’s methane gas you smell.
Call the management company again and demand immediate action. If they give you any grief call the health department and your local township building department... that will light a fire under the appropriate management or owners to get it fixed.

Latest posts

Back